CWP vs PWP - Are the qualifications transferable?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
sam2607

CWP vs PWP - Are the qualifications transferable?

Post by sam2607 »

Hi,
I am keen to get into working within children's mental health. I have seen the trainee programme for Children's wellbeing practitioner but these don't appear to come up in my location (Derbyshire). There are a lot more opportunities for Trainee PWP and I wondered, If I did this course and became a qualified PWP, would I then be able to transfer over to working with children in the same role at a later date, or would I still need to do the CYP wellbeing post grad qualification?
The thing that is holding me back as well is that I have no experience of working with young people, so I think even if a trainee programme came available in my area, I wouldn't be able to get on to it as I lack the experience. I am just starting training to become a Shout text volunteer - Are there any other recommendations from people as to what counts as really good experience in working with children? Is there anything voluntary I can do within CAMHS for example?
I am just about to complete a Masters in Psychology in August, but don't have anything else relevant in terms of qualifications.
TIA.
ndepeza

Re: CWP vs PWP - Are the qualifications transferable?

Post by ndepeza »

I would suggest perhaps some volunteer work with young people whatever you can obtain, either through CAMHS, education or children's centres. PWP roles mainly work with adults 18 and up so although certain aspects of the training will be relevant if EWP is your goal I would focus on gaining work experience with young people.
Parkleton

Post by Parkleton »

Hi, I am a CWP and in my service we had 2 people who came through previously with PWP training and experience. They both had to complete the CWP training to be able to work as CWPs. It might vary between services though!

In terms of experience, I worked in an adolescent inpatient unit prior to this role, and also had lots of experiences doing open days/outreach for my university. Maybe that's something your university might do? You could see if you could join the bank at a hospital or something similar. Other ideas include volunteering at Mind, supporting children with ASD/additional needs or anything within mental health really. My colleague worked at a children's home, another as an AP and another in adult IAPT before moving over to the CWP role.

I hope that helps!
sam2607

Post by sam2607 »

That's great,thanks both! Do you know if CAMHS have voluntary positions available and if you, do you need prior qualifications or experience to go for them? That's a good idea about bank hours at hospital, I'll look into this too. I think I'd enjoy childrens home work too but I have two young children and at the moment I couldn't commit to working shift work.
Thanks for your ideas though,much appreciated.
Sam
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Classroom support in a school? They are always on the lookout for people, and it is in school hours only. Volunteering at a special school? Or doing some ABA or sonrise work with a child with autism or learning/physical disabilities? There are some more psychological roles in children's homes too, and I've seen those arranged as 9-5 mon-fri rather than as shift work.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com