where are all of these Hi IAPT posts?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
squidgemuffin

where are all of these Hi IAPT posts?

Post by squidgemuffin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that people have posted that they have applied to loads of NHS Trusts for trainee IAPT posts....I keep wondering what I'm missing...where on earth are they advertised? :?:

I always look on NHS Jobs and have set up e-mail alerts. I have seen a few posts advertised but will only travel within around a 60 mile radius due to family comitments. I would love to be a trainee High Intensity worker though, please help, what am I doing wrong? :cry:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Psychological

Re: where are all of these Hi IAPT posts?

Post by Psychological » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Trainee HI posts are usually advertised on the NHS jobs website once or twice a year as they coincide with university terms. Typically they go out around May so you can in post by the start of October at the latest for when the course starts. However, some courses may start at different times of the year e.g. January but these are less common as far as I know. Good luck!

baa

Post by baa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm

It'll also depend whether your local services actually need any therapists. We only advertise when someone leaves and we have a vacancy to fill (which doesn't happen very often!), also, some services don't advertise for trainee posts if they can get a qualified therapist in.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

msmc

Post by msmc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Just spotted this one.. its an honary post though! have never come across an honary iapt post before. What do people think of this?

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetai ... =913287439

baa

Post by baa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm

:shock: is what I think. Let's not bother paying anyone anymore, that'll save the NHS some money :|

msmc

Post by msmc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm

I know, can't quite believe it :shock:

baa

Post by baa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:59 pm

:shock: :shock:

I know of some Trusts that are happy for PWPs to fund their own way through CBT training, and supply them with an unpaid caseload for the duration of the training. While paying them a part time wage as they're out on training. hah.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 pm

what an absolute joke of a job "/
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Pink

Post by Pink » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm

msmc wrote:Just spotted this one.. its an honary post though! have never come across an honary iapt post before. What do people think of this?

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetai ... =913287439
I'm genuinely horrified by this. The 'honourary AP' thing is bad enough, but to have someone actively delivering treatment and therapy in the NHS, whilst working for free, sets up all kinds of ethical dilemmas. The Hi-IAPT posts were supposed to go to clinicians who already had a 'core profession', or could demonstrate KSA equivalency, so would have some solid knowledge, competencies and skills, but people willing to work for free are likely to be much younger and less experienced. This could put clients and the volunteers at risk, quite apart from the issue of asking people to deliver NHS treatments for free. Seriously, how many doctors, nurses, etc. work for free? Argh that's just so wrong!

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

baa

Post by baa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 pm

It looks like it's an IAPT service that is run by some private company and Mind. It's horrifying really. I know of other services who are using self-employed people on zero hour contracts, who are only paid a nominal sum if people DNA, and they also have no money for envelopes and phone calls.

I'm getting a bit twitchy about the upcoming bids for our service tbh :|

LIWY

Post by LIWY » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

The NHS has long had unpaid counselling, psychotherapist and counselling psychology trainees on placement paying for their own training as well as working unpaid. IAPT has been unprecedented in increasing paid training in primary care mental health. With the move to AQP it is no surprise at all that the bad old days are back.

In one London borough where they continue to offer counselling alongside CBT they cut the paid counsellor roles and brought in a private firm that has unpaid trainees doing the work. At first the firm said that trainees must have 100 hours experience (which is the minimum for a BACP accredited counselling diploma). They couldn't get enough people in able to work for free so they cut the hours to 50, after a bit of an outcry they upped them to 65. These trainees see complex primary care cases. This is always going to be the reality in primary care mental health unless all trainees and those working towards accreditation refuse on mass to work for free because I can't see those holding the purse strings stopping the exploitation - and the patients of course don't get a say in it.

baa

Post by baa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:45 pm

This was an interesting read re: IAPT and AQP (I'm running out the door so can't say more, but worth a read!)

http://www.chester.ac.uk/sites/files/ch ... DB,7R2U9,1

squidgemuffin

Post by squidgemuffin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated

I work within an IAPT service at the moment as a Counsellor through an agency but when they recruited for the post an essential requirement was to have nursing as a core profession for a band 6 role. They could not recruit for this and have now down-banded the job to a 5. I was asked to apply but didn't as I had very mixed feelings.

Fingers crossed the new financial year brings more government money!

nettle

Post by nettle » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Does anyone know if a Dip Counselling counts as a core profession for HI training?

baa

Post by baa » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:13 pm

You need to be accredited with the BACP