How many Applications before you got accepted onto PWP prog

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Chetanna00

How many Applications before you got accepted onto PWP prog

Post by Chetanna00 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 pm

First of all congrats to everyone who's heard back from UCL and been successful for the March 2016 intake.
Unfortunately, I wasn't :-( Disappointed ? of course but I've decided to revise my expectations and explore other options.

I was just wondering how many tries did it take people before they got accepted onto the programme.

This would be my second attempt, I felt more positive about this application than my first (back in Aug) so not sure where I went wrong. At this point, I can only speculate on what let me down on my application.

My background
Mature student looking to change careers from Finance.
First degree in Financial and Business economics (10 years experience working in the Financial sector), finished a second degree in Psychology ( last year)
Volunteer experience
- 6 months with Resources for Autism
- Samaritans Volunteer since Apr 2014

astra

Re: How many Applications before you got accepted onto PWP p

Post by astra » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Its probably just a case of there being a lot of people with a bit more experience in the field. Keep doing what you are doing and look for opportunities to build on that. I'm not really that knowledgeable about IAPT recruitment though so maybe others will have a better idea.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Jennyp88

Post by Jennyp88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Chetanna00 wrote:First of all congrats to everyone who's heard back from UCL and been successful for the March 2016 intake.
Unfortunately, I wasn't :-( Disappointed ? of course but I've decided to revise my expectations and explore other options.

I was just wondering how many tries did it take people before they got accepted onto the programme.

This would be my second attempt, I felt more positive about this application than my first (back in Aug) so not sure where I went wrong. At this point, I can only speculate on what let me down on my application.

My background
Mature student looking to change careers from Finance.
First degree in Financial and Business economics (10 years experience working in the Financial sector), finished a second degree in Psychology ( last year)
Volunteer experience
- 6 months with Resources for Autism
- Samaritans Volunteer since Apr 2014
Chetanna, I would firstly like to say, don’t give up hope! As someone also whose first degree wasn’t in Psychology, I still managed to get a post on IAPT so it is possible.

This was my second try, upon finally being successful. The first time I was overly nervous and had no idea what to expect with limited knowledge of IAPT.

One thing that I did do was take notes of interview questions from the first interview, as they tend to ask you similar questions and I based my research for the answers around those and did further reading on IAPT. It also helped that I have a friend of a friend who works in IAPT and the Clinical Psychologist on the ward were I work currently who were both very supportive and helpful and gave me some tips/advice to base my interview revision on.

The fact that you have gotten an interview twice is something! I was told at my then interview that there were 117 applicants for one spot, and in my mind I was already planning my preparation for my next application. You have to remain optimistic and continue to persevere. It’s highly competitive, but in the end you will get there.

h4inna

Post by h4inna » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Jenny, I think we would all love to know the type of things you revised for the second time you were interviewed and what form of extra reading did you do regarding IAPT? This was also my second time applying, back in May I had an interview and did not know as much about IAPT. This second time however on applying, I was not selected for an interview but I don't feel too bad about it as I know the services this time recruiting were a rather limited. Here's hoping I'm successful in May this year.

Furthermore Chetanna, hang in there. Looks like a lot of us are in similar boats.
Jennyp88 wrote: Chetanna, I would firstly like to say, don’t give up hope! As someone also whose first degree wasn’t in Psychology, I still managed to get a post on IAPT so it is possible.

This was my second try, upon finally being successful. The first time I was overly nervous and had no idea what to expect with limited knowledge of IAPT.

One thing that I did do was take notes of interview questions from the first interview, as they tend to ask you similar questions and I based my research for the answers around those and did further reading on IAPT. It also helped that I have a friend of a friend who works in IAPT and the Clinical Psychologist on the ward were I work currently who were both very supportive and helpful and gave me some tips/advice to base my interview revision on.

The fact that you have gotten an interview twice is something! I was told at my then interview that there were 117 applicants for one spot, and in my mind I was already planning my preparation for my next application. You have to remain optimistic and continue to persevere. It’s highly competitive, but in the end you will get there.

Jennyp88

Post by Jennyp88 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Some useful revision points I used:

-It would be good to read up on the IAPT service, the WIKI helped a lot with that.
-Also knowledge about mental health conditions and how they would present in IAPT.
-Knowledge about common medications used to manage these conditions.
-What groups are less likely to engage in IAPT, how to target these groups.
-How would you encourage people to actively participate in-spite of their mental health symptoms meaning that they might be less likely to do so.
-Identifying strengths you can bring to the service.
-How to manage risk
-Safeguarding and issues surrounding that
-Working under pressure, thinking on your feet
-Time management
-Stepped care model (how would you use it)

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:17 pm

I worked as a graduate mental health worker at my trust before they got funding for some more PWPs, I applied and got it! Definitely looks like the revision pointers you have there are good! Defo look up the Layard report where IAPT started, defo how you would use the stepped care model. Also check out the "Reach out" manual on exeter Universitys CEDAR site for a good overview of things likely to be on the course. You might have to roleplay a step 2 intervention in the interview :)

YvetteMar

Post by YvetteMar » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Jenny did you manage to discuss medication commonly used? Also what did you say about how you would use the stepped care model?

Jennyp88

Post by Jennyp88 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Yvette, no I didn't get to talk about medication, but its good to know. With regards to the stepped care model, it relates to risk.

YvetteMar

Post by YvetteMar » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:19 am

Thanks Jenny. I am on the reserve list. Has anyone been on the reserve list before and managed to secure a place?

Chetanna00

Post by Chetanna00 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Guys thank you very much for your responses, I've also noted down the possible interview questions for that lucky day that I get 'the call' :-)
It's nice to hear that people are going through the same thing. As someone who did Distance Study and am still in my current career (Finance) this forum is probably one of the few interactions I get with people who are aspiring Psych so in short... thank you for keeping me sane!