Escaping IAPT

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
light0end0tunnel

Re: Escaping IAPT

Post by light0end0tunnel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:24 am

I have not had any research jobs at all (and no assistant psyc jobs either). I put the credits from my post grad diploma in CBT onto the masters program which meant I had to do a dissertation and that would complete my MSc. I think you have 5 years to do this so might be something worth looking into depending on when you did the pgdip. Other than my undergrad this is the only research experience I have. I was very fortunate to have a fantastic supervisor who was my academic referee and I really think this may have made a difference. If you have no research experience I would recommend looking at this route as it will also hopefully get you a good referee. I completed my dissertation whilst still working full time, it's totally doable. If this isn't an option you could perhaps look at contacting local uni's to see if there is any voluntary research stuff you could get involved with. Also within the research section of the application form you can include any teaching you have done and any service audit. You should have the opportunity to do this within an IAPT service. Let me know if I can help any more.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Milka

Post by Milka » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks light0end0tunne, it's really helpful to hear your experiences. The uni where I did my postgrad diploma used to offer a masters top up but sadly that option no longer exists :( I'm really kicking myself now for not doing that when I had the chance as it would have been a relatively cheaper and less time consuming way of getting research experience/qualification. I've now got a place to do a part time health psychology masters but having doubts if I really want to do a whole masters from scratch...

light0end0tunnel

Post by light0end0tunnel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 pm

It is a big commitment doing an MSc from scratch but I think you have picked a good area. Long term conditions and mental health are only set to increase in importance and I'm sure the future will hold more jobs in this area both in and out of IAPT. I was unsure about my MSc but now it's all done I don't regret a single thing about it. I always knew there would be a chance I would never need it but if I did it would be invaluable and I really feel it's been invaluable. I did mine when I was still happy in IAPT because I knew the time would come when they would cut staff or de-band and I wanted to pre-empt that and help secure my job. As it happened, it helped me to get on training instead. Only you know if you really want to do an MSc but what I can say is that I'm almost certain you won't regret it once you have done it. I don't really know anyone who has done an MSc and has regrets. Good luck with your decision and I really hope things work out for you.

Milka

Post by Milka » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:36 am

Thank you lightendoftunnel for your support and encouragement, you've certainly given me food for thought. Now I just need to get on and make a decision (decision making has never been something I've been good at!)

Highintensity

Post by Highintensity » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:47 pm

This thread is such a relief to me! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels like this! Are there any particular courses that would favour a CBT therapist with BABCP accreditation? I know Bath clin psy course is big on CBT as it's lead by Paul Salkovskis, any others?? Also, can being a HIT go against you in anyway?

Bookend

Post by Bookend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm bumping this thread up again to see if there is anyone out there who has left IAPT and found something else? What do you do and how did you find out about the opportunity? Where I am there seem to be so few options in secondary care, and I don't really want to go private.

hs577

Post by hs577 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi,

I started a secondary mental health worker post following working in IAPT in a custodial environment (I'd worked in the community in IAPT for years prior to this and worked as a research assistant as well). I do not have a core profession such as nursing/OT/social worker. I do, however, have experience of delivering therapies in various modalities and I'm just completing the thesis for my counselling psychology doctorate. I qualified after my psychology degree as a primary teacher which may have helped as this is similar to the other professions due to safeguarding, planning, targets and paperwork. This is just a brief outline but it can be done and the PWP and CBT skills come in useful for working with secondary cases.

Ppepper25

Post by Ppepper25 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Ive recently got a job at a university more in the research side of cbt, developing treatments and running clinical trials. This is paid well above band 7 level, and I only officially qualified in January of this year!

myotai

Post by myotai » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:30 pm

jamesivens wrote:there's loads of cbt jobs these days in different settings and services which you would be able to work in. BABCP jobs website is a good place to look, plus all the other general job searches through google etc
Like what?

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 pm

myotai wrote:
jamesivens wrote:there's loads of cbt jobs these days in different settings and services which you would be able to work in. BABCP jobs website is a good place to look, plus all the other general job searches through google etc
Like what?
Like this https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/e983 ... =914514496

and this https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/656b ... =914488768

and this https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/656b ... =914512135

:wink:

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 pm

I know that IAPT can be a very challenging environment to work in, particularly around targets and throughput. Be careful where you escape to! For example, secondary care have different challenges that are just as great and stressful. The grass could look greener....

Josephine

Post by Josephine » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I would only do CP if you want to work in that role, but if you want to stay in the therapy field there are non iapt jobs in CBT. I work in private practice, I also do visiting lecturing work, I do mediolegal work. Previously Ive worked as a psychological therapist in pain clinics, in CMHT's as psychological therapist, step 4 in IAPT, inpatients & drug & alcohol. I would advice broadening your training as IAPT training is for IAPT work. Look into universities who do Cog Beh Psychotherapy as they will teach you to work with complex cases seen in secondary care. Look at EMDR, CAT, Psychodynamic. I am qualified in CBP, EMDR, Psychodynamic and Family Therapy and find I am always busy. I haven't trained in CP as I don't want to do research and all the other roles CP do, I want to do solely psychological therapy. You can leave IAPT but you will have to gain some psychological flexibility in other models of therapy. Good luck.

Tlf

Post by Tlf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Milka wrote:Thanks light0end0tunnel that's really encouraging. I'd ruled out applying for the clincial psych training because I thought my experience (just primary care/IAPT) would be too narrow but perhaps that's just my negative cognitions! (fortune-telling!). If you don't mind me asking did you have any research experience that you could put on your application? I haven't done anything research based for a very long time so I thought i would struggle to get a good academic reference and would be marked down for lack of research experience.
Hiya,

I thought I would chip in here as I felt similarly to you. I am currently a HI therapist in IAPT and felt stuck, thought I had no chance of getting on to the DClinPsy but applied this year after much nagging from my partner and got a place! I have only done a couple of voluntary RA roles and my undergrad and masters thesis research which all were a little while ago (finished masters 2010) so my research background isn't great. My recommendation would be to apply to unis that use tests etc if you feel you don't have a cv as developed in certain areas as others. I avoided applying for unis with entry tests but did this year and it worked for me. I think it allows you to show off your skills without being overly concerned on how your cv looks on paper. You don't need to have 5 years RA experience to write a damn good thesis, and I think the tests give those of us who don't have as much experience in one area an honest shot.

Hope this helps!

Tanya

nclarke

Post by nclarke » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:28 pm

the greener grass often doesn't exist and private practice set-up takes years and not a bed of roses, very uncertain set-up
It is impossible to get a job for a general psychotherapist on NHS unless IAPT CBT trained.
It is interesting to read from this forum in general that those from private practice are trying to get into NHS and those in IAPT are trying to get out. Somewhat of a balanced approach needed.
Planning on NHS and private practice combined and see how that goes

Playinginthesun

Post by Playinginthesun » Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 pm

So pleased to find this thread even though I’m a bit late arriving!

Does anyone have any update on their progression from HI positions? I’ve been working in a London IAPT service since 2012 when I qualified having previously been a PWP. Feel endlessly frustrated when I look for alternative jobs in different areas (e.g. Camhs) and don’t meet the essential criteria as I’m neither an OT/Social worker/nurse! This is despite having done both a BSc and MSc along with two post grads for Iapt (PWP & HI). I’ve a 2:2 from my BSc so don’t feel confident about applying for Clin Psy even though it seems this would give so much more in the way of career options....

Is anyone in the same sort of position and have any recommendations for possible alternative routes? I don’t mind Iapt but feel quite pidgeon holed at present...