Recovery rates & capability route

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Bookend

Recovery rates & capability route

Post by Bookend » Wed May 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello, I have been applying for IAPT jobs as an HI and have come across a couple of services where, in the past, staff have been put on capability procedures due to not consistently achieving a 50% recovery rate. This has shocked me a bit and I'm wondering whether it is wise to steer clear of jobs where this might be a possibility. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of working in a service where this has happened, or staff have been threatened with this, and how it impacts on staff morale (if that isn't a daft question)? On the one hand I think probably not wise to touch a service where this happens with a barge pole, on the other hand I'm thinking how rigorously could something like this actually be enforced?

Any replies appreciated!

baa

Re: Recovery rates & capability route

Post by baa » Wed May 25, 2016 8:06 pm

I wouldn't touch them with someone else's bargepole, it screams target driven horror to me.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Milka

Post by Milka » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 pm

That sounds horrendous. :evil:
I've never heard of that happening but fortunately it doesn't happen everywhere in IAPT so steer clear of those places that do because it says a lot about the ethos of the service if managers are going down that route.

Bookend

Post by Bookend » Wed May 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks both. I keep thinking I must have misunderstood because I can't see how it could be legal really or how any service could get away with it, I assume they just wear down staff with performance reviews until they resign. As you say Milka it doesn't point to a supportive attitude from management, thanks again.

alexh

Post by alexh » Thu May 26, 2016 7:19 am

Agree in general but don't see what would be illegal about it.