KCA Surrey - PWP Trainee

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
rose107327

KCA Surrey - PWP Trainee

Post by rose107327 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently went for an interview for the post as a trainee PWP in KCA Surrey and I wanted to ask how it was working there? Does anyone have experience working there? Cause I keep hearing mixed reviews. I am going to have to commute from east London which is going cost me a fortune so I wanted to know if it was worth being part of that service? If it's not part of the NHS would that make it harder to get a job in London after qualifying?
Any insight will be appreciated!
Thank you!

LIWY

Re: KCA Surrey - PWP Trainee

Post by LIWY » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Well done on the job offer. Their non-NHS status shouldn't be a problem at all, you'll still be covering all the elements of a PWP job description. There's always work in London for PWPs it would seem. Very high attrition from the role sees to that.

When they started KCA had a reputation for being not as good as the NHS to work for, high targets, low number of sessions, less increments - but more and more IAPT services seem to work to this now (hence the press statements put out this year by the BPS about levels of distress among IAPT workers). At least you are in the official training, some NHS services don't even do that now, getting around it by calling people graduate mental health workers or assistant psychologists when the job description is suspiciously PWP-like - thus squeezing another day out of workers who would otherwise be at uni.

I heard that KCA did used to take on more trainees than they would keep and replace them with new trainees, don't know if that is still the case, but not a problem if you plan to move on anyway.

Flickk

Post by Flickk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:59 pm

We must have been in the same interview batch! I interviewed on June 7th- I wonder when we'll hear back?

Also- thank you for q&a, I was wondering the same. I think that given how the NHS is going, at the end of the day it is the same qualification regardless of where you attain it!

Did you also apply through UCL? Another long wait!

:)

rose107327

Post by rose107327 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Yeah i think we will hear from them soon. They did say 2 weeks.

I did apply to UCL as well :)