Realities

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
myotai

Realities

Post by myotai » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I cannot help but feel for the aspiring PWP's and their admirable enthusiasm in here.

It might just be my experience over the last 7 years, but the reality of the role is so far removed from the green fields that are painted at university - I would likely never have applied if I'd have known it was going to be a careered cul-de-sac.

My advice, be cautious, ask seasoned PWP's how they're finding it...and above all, read between the lines.

BW

M...

Psyfer

Re: Realities

Post by Psyfer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't think pwp need be a cul de sac. Most of the pwps I worked with got onto another training e.g. high intensity after 3 years.

I only did the training then did clinical associate in applied psychology in Scotland straight after.

I think it was a great way to gain experience and would have given my ap applications a boost if I had needed to make them.

Some people go from pwp onto clinical.

myotai

Post by myotai » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 am

Good for you.

However, I have seen too many good people become ill and burnt out due to the utterly mercenary way PWPs are treated and used as drones. People rarely speak out due to an inherent culture of fear with the NHS.

It's scandalous and will come out in the end.

Like I said, if you're planning on PWP work expect to be looking to leave after a year due to the role being so incredibly different to how it's advertised.

I am out of it now and happy as a PT but do feel for those poor well meaning individuals who will be made unwell by the role.

Take it or leave it....I KNOW this to be true. Up to you! But if you're reading this you have been warned!!

Good luck!

jimbonda789

Post by jimbonda789 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 pm

If any aspiring PWP's are reading this not everyone's experience matches the person who first posted this thread.

Yes there are challenges, you are expected to work hard, held to high standards and see people more complex than you might be equipped or trained to.

However my experience is that you are valued by management and patients that you help, you receive support through cpd, supervision and the ability to step up without too much hassle.

I think a more accurate appraisal might be that working conditions differ from service to service and that you might find out about the service you are going to work for or do your placement with first. I have only worked for one service and by the sounds of it conditions are better than the average.

I do not agree that it is a career cul de sac, you can springboard on to a lot of other things and if you approach it correctly can achieve a senior pwp position or management role. I have seen people do this in relatively short time frames. If you really find it insufferable do something else or change service. I have completely changed career 3 times with no financial support just determination, stubbornness and resilience, so have others that I know.

I hope to move on to do high intensity training soon however if I have to I would be perfectly happy spending the next 5 years as a PWP.

If you are thinking about applying my advice is dont let posts like this put you off, give it a go and find out for yourself.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:42 am

I have to disagree with the original post. I am aware that everyone's experience is different depending on the service and whilst the roles has its challenges, like with all jobs, it's not a "cul-de-sac" as such.

Further, I think it is up to the individual as well to look after themselves as whilst working is an important part of life, it isn't the heart of life. It is a role that you can grow in to and get better at managing the challenges, working hard and maintaining the expected standards.

Also, I am one of many that has trained further after being a PWP and most people from my cohort were able to secure roles allowing them to progress e.g. Senior PWP roles, CBT training, PhD and teaching opportunities.

I would definitely encourage those interested to do your research, apply and evaluate the experience because its not all bad!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

myotai

Post by myotai » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 pm

The last post sounds a little like a promo from Exeter Uni....it is I am afraid wholly inaccurate and coated with that much sugar to make it unpalatable to someone like me - who has now left the role but had several years experience in it.

How can you suggest its not a cul-de-sac when there is nowhere to go other than the rare senior role? Of course it is by implication! PWP's leave NOT because its a stepping stone - they leave invariably because they have to to remain well themselves!

To suggest that PWP's need to look after themselves is an understatement - IAPT PWP's need infinitely more support and recognition that they're currently receiving.

When the role holds NO relation to what is taught at universities like Exeter then there is much fertile ground for PWP's to find themselves, taken advantage of, overwhelmed and basically treating individuals they have absolutely no training for.

That mixed with a management that cares ONLY about meeting those KPI's.

As I have said before.

These are facts, not IAPT created Memes!

PanGirl1984

Post by PanGirl1984 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Good grief. Someone is a little bitter and angry aren't they? Sorry myotai but the others are right - not all IAPT services are like that and there are development/ progression opportunities in many cases. Just because you have a strong opinion, it doesn't make it a fact.