Moving to NHS Scotland as a PWP

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
GreenOlive

Moving to NHS Scotland as a PWP

Post by GreenOlive » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:21 am

Hi all,

I'm a qualified PWP from the South of England and currently looking into possible job opportunities in Scotland due to my partner being offered a great job opportunity there. Unfortunatly, IAPT doesn't exist in Scotland. I understand that the role of a "Clinical Associate in Applied Psychology" is somewhat similar to the role of a PWP, however it requires a MSc and the higher level of training and responsibility is reflected in a higher salary level (band 7). It sounds like a great job role within the context of a mulidisciplinary team approach!

Has anyone made this transition and if so, did you have to take the full course in Msc Psychological Therapy in Primary Care? I'm hoping that part of my degrees will transfer and that there's an option to top up the additional training requirements. It seems that there should be some system in place to recognize IAPT qualifications in Scotland and vice versa but I haven't been able to find the right place to enquire about this.. If my PGDip isn't recognised in Scotland, I may consider applying to training as a CBT therapist since this would have been my natural next step in England at some point anyway.. Thanks for any help!

Eriya

Re: Moving to NHS Scotland as a PWP

Post by Eriya » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 am

Hi! I did the adult CAAP MSc course. My understanding is that the role is quite different from a PWP (Sorry, I don't know much about how IAPT works). I would suggest just contacting the course to find out if your qualification would be recognised towards it, but to be honest I doubt it. It really is a great course and recently BABCP accredited, but it's very competitive!

GreenOlive

Re: Moving to NHS Scotland as a PWP

Post by GreenOlive » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 am

Hi Eriya,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Great advice! I‘ve contacted the university of Stirling to check if any coursework can be counted towards the degree but it does sound like it‘s quite a different role.. I‘d love to hear more about what working as a CAAP is like! Would it be ok if I sent you a PM?