Trainee PWP interview - Kaleidoscope Plus Group

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
ny95

Trainee PWP interview - Kaleidoscope Plus Group

Post by ny95 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi everyone

I have an interview with kaleidoscope plus group for a trainee PWP role and I was just wondering if anyone has ever had an interview with them before and how it went?

On the phone the HR told me it will consist of a writing exercise (where they will give me a scenario and I’ll have to answer a question about it) and an interview.

I’ve never done a writing exercise before for an interview so I don’t know what to expect. If anyone can shed some light on what they know about this and how I should prepare then I would highly appreciate it as I have no idea!

Thank you

Sam1987

Re: Trainee PWP interview - Kaleidoscope Plus Group

Post by Sam1987 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm

The last time I asked a similar question on here I was accused of trying to cheat... :| So best of luck getting an answer to your question!
IAPT the tiger

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 am

Sam1987 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm
The last time I asked a similar question on here I was accused of trying to cheat... :| So best of luck getting an answer to your question!
I do think sometimes we could be a little more balanced on how we tell people that they can't ask or share interview questions - however, I believe that there's a historical basis for this where another Clinical Psychology forum was badly thought of by the wider profession, so I do get the need to respect the way services shortlist and not make their information easily searchable.

To Ny95, it sounds like they might be giving you a case example, so maybe think about what information you might want to know to do an assessment, or think about how to formulate a case and plan an intervention.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 pm

lakeland wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 am
Sam1987 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm
I do think sometimes we could be a little more balanced on how we tell people that they can't ask or share interview questions - however, I believe that there's a historical basis for this where another Clinical Psychology forum was badly thought of by the wider profession, so I do get the need to respect the way services shortlist and not make their information easily searchable.
Asking for information that isn't in the public domain that will help you at interview is attempting to undermine the fair selection process. I'd not want someone to tell a potential candidate what I ask at interview so that they could prep answers, and I can bet that Kaleidoscope won't want that information shared either. Both of you would also probably be identifiable from your username out of the small number of people called to interview, and it is pretty likely that a member of staff at most organisations reads this forum, given how much traffic we get and how many members we have. It wouldn't reflect well on the person asking, or on the forum, if we allowed this.

And for the record, it would be our rule whether or not that was an issue on psyclick pre 2007, because my whole motivation in making, funding and running this site was to level the playing field and put information about how to become a clinical psychologist in the public domain so that it isn't about insider knowledge from your personal networks. And we make the rules really clear - they are pinned at the top of "about this forum" and every single person who registers is sent a link to them when they join up.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Ny95

To expand on Lakeland’s advice (and I’ve never done a written task in an interview so couldn’t be more specific even if I wanted to!) I have found in all psychology related interviews that having a few examples (either from previous jobs or from personal life) that I’ve really thought about and reflected on has been very useful for structuring answers. You may get asked directly (“give an example of a time when....”) in which case perfect- or you may get a more general question. For example “how would you cope with a high volume high pressure environment?” (Very relevant for PWP jobs!) in which case to avoid waffling I might structure my answer around a particular occasion in my personal life where I had had a stressful situation and talk about the coping strategies I used and think about how I might apply some of those in the desired role. For me having that basic structure helped me avoid going down a rabbit hole of talking without saying anything useful!
Best of luck
(P.s I am about to write an updated day in the life of a PWP (should be there in next 48hrs) which may be worth a read to get an idea of the typical structure of the job!)