HI training - 2 full years with PWP qualification? Previous experience?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Maango

HI training - 2 full years with PWP qualification? Previous experience?

Post by Maango » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi guys I had a question with regards to applying on the HI training.

At the moment you need two years post qualification as a pwp to apply through KSA route. However what about my previous 1.5years working as an AP? Would this at all count towards the 2 years experience or are those 1.5 years automatically discredited now? I've just qualified as PWP and I'm now thinking I have to continue for another two more years despite my previous experience. I'm just confused because I have noted some individuals (i.e probations officers, or short term recovery workers) being accepted to the HI training so I wonder if at all my work as AP would count towards this at all?

Some enlightenment or even experiences from other people would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any responses in advance.

Alex

Re: HI training - 2 full years with PWP qualification? Previous experience?

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 pm

I think the 2 year mark was set up because they want to their training investment returned and to stop the pwp workforce haemorrhaging too quickly. From the NHS employer perspective, why would they train up a PWP for them to shortly leave the post?

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

I think generally if you don't have a core profession and trained as a PWP, the requirement is of 2 years experience before applying for high intensity. Like Alex said, it is to ensure the investment in PWPs but it is also supposed to stablise the turnover in the PWP world. I'm not sure it does as PWPs leave for roles other than HI training.

Its worth keeping in mind that this requirement is only for the IAPT HI training, not for other CBT training routes which may be of interest if you have experience outside of IAPT.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

I've come across Trainee PWPs going straight to HI Training! And, newly qualified PWP's going straight onto HI Training. On both occasions due to the amount of experience and studying required for the course, many of them struggled through it! This has only happened at one NHS Trust I know of, I've not come across it any other Trusts or private IAPT services I've worked for.
IAPT the tiger

Kabrem

Post by Kabrem » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Sam1987 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm
I've come across Trainee PWPs going straight to HI Training! And, newly qualified PWP's going straight onto HI Training. On both occasions due to the amount of experience and studying required for the course, many of them struggled through it! This has only happened at one NHS Trust I know of, I've not come across it any other Trusts or private IAPT services I've worked for.
Which service was this?