IAPT High Intensity - no pg qualification

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
LookingAhead

IAPT High Intensity - no pg qualification

Post by LookingAhead » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Hello,

I am having issues filling in my KSA for Step 3 CBT therapist role.

I am currently working as a Step 2 PWP for about over a year and I am intending to stay within the role for one more year.

I was looking at the KSA to help me prepare and meet the criteria but I am having some issues.

I have graduated with a BSc in Applied Clinical Psychology in Exeter where I was qualified as a PWP.

Looking at the KSAs, it looks as though they require knowledge which is at least at postgraduate level. The things is, most step 2 PWPs usually quality as one once they have done a postgraduate course but I was able to skip that step and still qualify as a PWP.

I am just wondering, what can I write in my KSA for experience if I only have a graduate level qualification?

I have been reading CBT based books and attending training sessions at work to give me some leverage but I do not feel confident.

Was anyone able to get into Step 3 CBT therapist role without a postgraduate qualification?

Many thanks.

Victoriomantic

Re: IAPT High Intensity - no pg qualification

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:06 pm

LookingAhead wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm
I am having issues filling in my KSA for Step 3 CBT therapist role.
I assume you mean for the trainee role? I.e. a place on an HI training course?
LookingAhead wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Was anyone able to get into Step 3 CBT therapist role without a postgraduate qualification?
Yes! It's absolutely possible :) Good job on being prepared and looking into the KSA already.

I trained in-house as a Graduate Mental Health Worker after my BSc in Psychology, then after 8 months became a PWP, which I did for 2 years. I just completed my HI training and am due to start my qualified post next week. So I didn't even do any "formal" PWP training, whether combined with undergrad, or as a postgrad role. Yet I completed a comprehensive KSA and passed it with 0 corrections necessary.

The KSA can be completed by anyone without a core profession, even if they weren't a PWP either. Many things can count as evidence, including certificates from trainings you have completed, or even powerpoint slides from lectures / talks, or service policies. The main thing is to be reflective and offer examples of how you have used awareness of each of the principles in your work. I would encourage you to talk to other PWP or Step 3 colleagues in your service, perhaps put your heads together and/or discuss with your line manager or supervisor to think about how you might meet each of the criteria. If there in anything lacking, discuss this in line management to see if there are any goals you can work towards, for example keeping an eye open for certain CPD events or side projects that might be available within the service.

Hope this helps!

ash123

Re: IAPT High Intensity - no pg qualification

Post by ash123 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Could anyone provide an update on their experience of the trainee CBT role? Any details about the study and practice, anything useful to know for someone considering the role.

I’m currently a trainee psychologist but considering my options. I have experience of CBT from a patient perspective and interested in the therapeutic one to one intervention work with service users. I would need to complete the portfolio, currently looking into this and how achievable it is with my psychology qualifications.

Thanks