How is IAPT going?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
DrFurbs

Post by DrFurbs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am

Hows this initiative going then, has been successful in any way given its criticisms?

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

I think it is providing people with some form of help that they would have not got in the past or would have had to wait a very long time.

However in terms of the quality of training for LIW- I am yet to be impressed from my experience so far.
Psych_lad

baa

Post by baa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 am

DrFurbs wrote:Hows this initiative going then, has been successful in any way given its criticisms?
We are meeting targets for return to work, and also for people reaching recovery (as measured by the lovely PHQ-9 and GAD-7)

baa

Post by baa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:40 am

I do not remember typing that :lol: It is definitely succesful though, obviously I can only speak for my area, but GPs are loving it (once they work out we're not counsellors), and people are pretty happy to have a service where none existed before.

From the IAPT site:
Since October 2008 1,500 more people have been employed in the programme, including 800 trainees. In the first nine months, the 35 sites where the programme was operating treated 73,000 people. With 80 more sites going live shortly, the programme is on course to treat 900,000 in the first three years as planned. Recovery rates for those completing treatment are rising steadily and are in line with the expectations.
I'm trying to find reports/data but can't as yet, I will ask our clinical lead, see if anything is being published.

coffeemate

Post by coffeemate » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Funny you should ask - I got an email this morning updating me about a new issue of a journal with something from Layard himself (assuming he's male here, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Haven't read it yet but here's the reference:

Clark, Layard, Smithies, Richards, Suckling & Wright (2009). Improving access to psychological therapy: Initial evaluation of two UK demonstration sites. Behaviour Research and Therapy 47, 11, pg 910-920

Copying and pasting from the abstract:

"Large numbers of patients were treated, with low-intensity interventions (such as guided self-help) being particularly helpful for achieving high throughput. Clinical outcomes were broadly in line with expectation. 55–56% of patients who had attended at least twice (including the assessment interview) were classified as recovered when they left the services and 5% had improved their employment status. Treatment gains were largely maintained at 10 month follow-up. Opening the services to self-referral appeared to facilitate access for some groups that tend to be underrepresented in general practice referrals. Outcomes were comparable for the different ethnic groups who access the services. Issues for the further development of IAPT are discussed."

If anyone gets access or chance to have a proper read I'd be interested in your thoughts. . . .

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 pm

coffeemate wrote:Layard himself (assuming he's male here, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Yup, he's called Richard.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

baa

Post by baa » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:13 pm

And he's a Lord rather than a Lady :)) I will try and get this using my work athens doohickey.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I have access to this article if anyone has any problems and wants to see it :)

rox

Post by rox » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm

From the highly non-scientific sample of patients I've 'treated', there seem to be a lot of successes in terms of their perceived recovery and wellbeing. I've also had very few 'drop out'. However, in maybe 50% of cases I would query whether the recovery had anything to do with the therapy (or therapist!) offered. So many people have seemed to know exactly what they needed to do to reach their goals, and found the motivation to do it themselves as soon as someone was taking an interest in their progress.

The word 'placebo' keeps popping into my head!

baa

Post by baa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 am

rox wrote:
The word 'placebo' keeps popping into my head!
nooo, guided self help :lol:

CBTer

Post by CBTer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:48 pm

My experience in High Intensity has so far been fairly positive.

We have no wait for High Intensity which is really encouraging. Some people have made gains through the CBT itself, some change is from extratherapeutic change (e.g. change of job). As expected there are a segment of clients who according to the PHQ and GAD scores are not 'recovered' but whose difficulties are chronic and perhaps due to early trauma and therefore any slight gain seems good for them. Unfortunately I haven't managed to get many back to work or into work!