Advice on career path!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
roslo

Advice on career path!

Post by roslo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 am

Hi guys,

So I finished my MSc conversion in Psychology and started working as an Activity Worker in a Acute ward. I was almost going for a bursary in Social Work, but decided to have a break on studies and have a bit of practice instead.

I think I made a good choice as I realised I really enjoy working in a ward and decided that I would like a career that would give me the opportunity to work with mental health in the Hospital.

Can you guys give me ideas? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is much place for Social Workers to work in Inpatients? I can think of Mental Health Nurse and Occupational Therapists... What else?

Thank you! :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MindfulPsych

Re: Advice on career path!

Post by MindfulPsych » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:33 pm

roslo wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 am
Can you guys give me ideas? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is much place for Social Workers to work in Inpatients? I can think of Mental Health Nurse and Occupational Therapists... What else?

Thank you! :D
Hey!

There is definitely a need for social workers in inpatient hospitals and general hospitals too! I use to work with social workers on the wards. It's definitely something to look into if you want to go down this path. It might be worth contacting a few? If you go to a particular hospitals website it does list all the professionals in each department :)

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 pm

I work with some CLIC Sargent social workers who work into our hospital. They're based here full time with paediatric oncology.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:31 pm

In my old job in inpatient Forensic mental health there was a whole team of Social Workers so yes definitely an option!