Summer psychology work (and has anyone come across "NeuroSupport Services"?)

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ClaudEE

Summer psychology work (and has anyone come across "NeuroSupport Services"?)

Post by ClaudEE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just finished studying for my BSc and have just found out I have a place on an MRes at Birmingham Uni starting at the end of September.
I've been trying to find clinically relevant paid experience to keep me busy over this summer, and have come across a company called NeuroSupport Services who are offering support worker roles to psychology graduates. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this company? As I hadn't heard of them before, can't find any reviews online, and they say you would be self-employed which I find a bit unusual.

Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions for clinically relevant summer jobs that would be hugely appreciated! I'd happily do support worker roles, I'm just a bit unsure whether companies would mind employing someone who is only going to be around for a couple of months.

Thank you!
Last edited by miriam on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make title more specific

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
laurenr

Re: Summer psychology work (and has anyone come across "NeuroSupport Services"?)

Post by laurenr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I had a summer job at a summer playscheme for children with learning disabilities when I was between years in my degree. They're set up for seasonal workers. I would also be unsure about a self-employed support worker role - particularly around would you have to register as self-employed or sort your own taxes etc

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Summer psychology work (and has anyone come across "NeuroSupport Services"?)

Post by miriam » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:51 pm

"Self-employed" work for a single employer has a lot of quite interesting connotations. First it could be considered an attempt to circumvent having to pay NI, pension and payroll costs, and is potentially risky with the way IR35 is being interpreted. Second, it could be an attempt to save money using gig economy swindles like only paying for time "working" and not time travelling, even though they send employees to multiple short appointments. It can mean they position themselves as a middleman and don't defend you against complaints or legal claims (so you really need to ensure you have your own indemnity insurance) or provide any supervision or training. Fourth, it can mean that they don't need to give notice to fire you. Finally, you'll need to submit a self-assessment tax return or pay an accountant to submit one for you, and it might mean that other employers within the same financial year will have to put you on a tax code that assumes all your allowances have been used.

I don't know anything about this company, and it might be entirely benign, but my instinct would suggest caution and a preference for traditional paid employment.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Mishi

Post by Mishi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Hmm I have also come across this company. I can't find any information about them anywhere too

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 am

Personally I wouldn't touch this. The tax implications alone for a short term gig is extremely offputting.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

ClaudEE

Post by ClaudEE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks everyone
The tax implications were what was putting me off too, but I thought if I got a few people speaking in favour of the company I might give it the benefit of the doubt.
I will avoid!