Is my experience relevant?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
LPhelan

Is my experience relevant?

Post by LPhelan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 pm

Hi!
This is my first time posting on this forum so I hope I am posting in the right section!
I have just started my psychology conversion course and was advised by my tutor to start planning for the future by gaining relevant experience. I have spent the last three years working as a HCA in my local hospital as a healthcare assistant. While it is not a psychiatric hospital my main duties are providing one on one care 'specialing' to patients with meantal health issues eg. patient with dementia, eating disorders, sucidal thoughts etc.
I was just wondering would this be considered relevant or not due to the fact it is not a psychiatric hospital?

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Is my experience relevant?

Post by Geishawife » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:14 am

It is a total myth that only mental health experience is relevant to Clinical Psychologyl. Not all CPs work in mental health and there are so many useful skills to be gained doing the job you do. Patient engagement, understanding of a bio-psycho-social model, formulating patient experience/history, MDT working, when to listen vs when to talk, etc, etc. If you are still working there, try to make contact with any CPs in the trust and have a chat about their role.As has been said time and again, what matters most is what you gain from your experience. So focus less on setting and diagnosis and more on how the experience has prepared you to be a good trainee CP, be reflective and your experience will be every bit as valuable.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Is my experience relevant?

Post by maven » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:07 am

Geishawife wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:14 am
how the experience has prepared you to be a good trainee CP, be reflective and your experience will be every bit as valuable.
Or a good AP, or a good PWP, or rehab assistant, or residential care worker, or whatever you apply for after you get your conversion :)
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare