Pre-Qual - Volunteering to do Cognitive Rehabilitation Exercises

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Ygrimmador

Pre-Qual - Volunteering to do Cognitive Rehabilitation Exercises

Post by Ygrimmador » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Good afternoon all,

I hope you're all doing well and coping under the current stresses and strains of life!

I had a question that I think it would be best to air in an arena where I could get some guidance from the professional world of Clinical Psychology.

I am, like many of us pre-qualification, really struggling to get relevant and supported work experience: but that is a topic thoroughly canvassed elsewhere.

To try and bridge the gap myself, I am now trying to think outside the box a bit about where I may be able to offer my services based on what I have already done, as I have failed to regain work in a Therapeutic or Psychology setting. I have had an idea, but I am not sure if it is something that it might be frowned upon or if it is even something that it would be safe and ethical for me to do.

To provide some context: I spent a few years after finishing my BSc working as a Support Worker at my local Headway branch, both as a volunteer, and staff member. While there, I put my skills in Psychology to use by occasionally doing little Cognitive Exercises with members to aid their ongoing rehabilitation - I even went to a training day, organised by Headway, on Cognitive Rehab Therapy tools to help me with this.

As I am still looking to try and gain more experience, and also because I miss working therapeutically with people - I wondered if I would be within my scope to go back to Headway and offer my services as a volunteer for Cognitive Rehab sessions.

There is no Psychologist on the site, so I would be looking to pay for an outside Clinical Supervisor if I was to do this - if it is even something that would be worth considering. The only thing I want to make sure of is that I am not working beyond my competency, as I don't want to be working unethically or dangerously.

I would want to make sure I am qualified to do this, but the only resources I can find online that present training to deliver Cognitive Rehab (aside from, getting onto a DClin course and already being a Psychologist - a feat I am attempting) seems to be the following few websites, and I am unsure of their legitimacy as options:

- https://www.braintreetraining.co.uk/
- https://acrm.org/meetings/cognitive-rehab-training/
- https://www.braininjurygroup.co.uk/for- ... velopment/

Could I ask the community, what are your opinions this idea? I would be undertaking it, pretty much by myself, aside from whoever I can find for supervision, and the support of the centre staff, so I just wondered what the general consensus is on whether this actually sounds like a good idea, or something that would probably be best to avoid. I would really appreciate any views and guidance on this.

Many thanks for anyone who gets back in touch!

Y

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Qual - Volunteering to do Cognitive Rehabilitation Exercises

Post by miriam » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:29 pm

It sounds fine to me, as you'd be volunteering in a bigger organisation and seeking supervision to do so. But why not get a job in care or support work where you will be paid? There are real shortages of personnel to fill these roles, and they often open the door to more psychological opportunities.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Ygrimmador

Post by Ygrimmador » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm

miriam wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:29 pm
It sounds fine to me, as you'd be volunteering in a bigger organisation and seeking supervision to do so. But why not get a job in care or support work where you will be paid? There are real shortages of personnel to fill these roles, and they often open the door to more psychological opportunities.
Thank you for getting in touch Miriam! :-)

At the moment, the reason is that I have managed to get a job working with a friend of mine in a recruitment, just because I had to settle for a position that would pay me. As I've only been doing it a short time, I do not want to cause my friend an issue by leaving so quickly after joining.

The other reason is, to be honest, that I did support work for nearly 5 years, and I'm unsure that going into another full-time support worker position would help me, as I even failed to get AP positions in similar organisations to which I was working in the time. I want to be out there helping people, but I felt like I was getting nowhere and the majority of the feedback from interviews and applications for Psychological positions has most often been that I was unsuccessful because someone was hired with more experience in working with people therapeutically.

Having worked in a variety of settings and having life experience of mental health conditions myself, it hurts me to say it, but I don't feel like the experience I have is all that valued. Hence, I'm reluctant to look at more paid Support Worker roles and feel like I should put my effort more into creating opportunities to actually work Psychologically with people.

What do you think? Obviously I am only speaking from my own perspective, but I don't really have any real way to understand what sort of experience would be more valuable to a prospective employer.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:28 am

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get relevant paid work with 5 years of support work after a psychology degree - so you need to get someone to look at how you are tailoring your applications (or do some mock interviews if you were getting interviews but not posts) to see what is going wrong. As to the job in recruitment, they are used to high turnover, and whilst it might help your friend, every week in that role makes your CV look less like a psychologist in waiting. So if your goal is a career in psychology, recruitment plus volunteering is not a good choice.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare