Can I apply for assistant posts before I officially graduate?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
maisym00

Can I apply for assistant posts before I officially graduate?

Post by maisym00 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi all,
I'm due to finish my degree this May, but I don't officially graduate until August. Is it possible to apply for AP roles in May under the premise that I will (hopefully!) have a degree conferring GBC by August, or must I wait until I officially graduate until I begin applying? None of the roles state when you are actually expected to start working, so it may be that by the time I start I will have my GBC. It's just a little confusing, and if I can't start applying until August it may take me several months to be lucky enough to get a job, so I may be out of work from May through to December.
I guess I'll try and get a support worker role in the mean time, if it's not possible to apply in May.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Can I apply for assistant posts before I officially graduate?

Post by Geishawife » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:20 pm

You can apply but, realistically, you are unlikely to be shortlisted ahead of the many tens of applicants who will already have GBC and who will likely have more experience as well. I will say again what has often been said, don't run away with the idea that AP posts are either necessary if you want to apply for the CP doctorate or even the best means of gaining experience. You mentioned support work, which can be hugely valuable in helping you develop and grow. Some of the most important skills you need are often acquired through support work or health care assistant roles. So, I would focus on finishing your degree and apply for roles other than AP at present. When you have GBC AND some experience under your belt you are more likely to be shortlisted for AP jobs.

maisym00

Post by maisym00 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks, I have a support worker role at the moment, so I guess I could increase my hours there once I graduate university

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Remember, it's not the job title that matters so much as what you gain from a post. Good luck going forward.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:07 am

I agree with Geishawife. Enjoy the journey, don't try to find a mythical fastest route to the horizon. But in my experience shortlisters will bin any applicant that doesn't have the essential criteria in hand at the point of shortlisting. After all, I'm trying to pick 4-5 candidates to interview out of 40-200 applicants, almost all of whom will meet all my essential criteria and have some relevant experiences and skills.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com