Is a new AP with a similar population going to add to my CV?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
BecMac

Is a new AP with a similar population going to add to my CV?

Post by BecMac »

To give some backgroune since completing my undergrad I have had 3 AP roles, all working in various setting with children. None of these were NHS roles.

I applied for the doctorate this year and I received one reserve list for interview but nothing else, though I do think this was down to my application/lack of reflection rather than my experience or results but I want to apply to NHS roles to learn more about working as a Clin Psy in the national health system. I've been offered an interview in NHS CAMHS though I'm worried it won't add to my experience since I've already gained experience in a lot of the tasks associated with the role (doing 1-2-1 work with children and young people, working with caregivers, service evaluations, parenting groups) and I'd like more adult focussed work.

I've tried applying for NHS AP jobs with adults though I don't seem to be getting interviews. While I have been focussing on my transferable skills and why I would like to work with adults, I don't seem to be getting anywhere with those applications.

I'm keen to move jobs soon and while attending open evenings last year I remember some courses stressing the importance of NHS experience.

My question is: Is an NHS job with a population I've already worked with worth thinking about? Or should I wait and see if I get anywhere in roles involving adults?
Last edited by BecMac on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Is a new AP with a similar population going to add to my CV?

Post by Geishawife »

I would say go for the interview and take it from there. The fact it's with a client group you have worked with before will not make too much difference to your doctorate application so long as you can demonstrate how what you learn from a role makes you a good candidate for training. (After all, we can't all gain experience with every client group prior to training.) You are more likely to be able to demonstrate this if you have guidance and supervision from a CP within the NHS - which this role will provide you with. So, go for the interview and see what happens. If you get it, great. If not, you will have had some NHS interview experience to take forward to other interviews. Keep applying for other jobs and perhaps look beyond adult mental health and at posts with older people or people with a learning disability just to broaden your scope. Good luck.
BecMac

Post by BecMac »

Thanks! I realize this sounds a bit premature but I've heard if successful you can often be offered the job that day, and I was also wondering whether I should keep applying to AP jobs working with children if it wasn't a good idea to accept one. Thanks it will be my first NHS interview so I'm sure there will be lots to learn! Great to hear it won't be viewed by those looking at applications as though I haven't made an effort to "branch out" if I do continue in a role working with children and young people.
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

I would apply for any job that you think would be a good fit for you. If you don't get this one, be aware that there could be a bit of a "rush" of available jobs over the Summer period as people leave to start the doctorate. So, be prepared and have supporting statements ready that you could "tweak" at short notice.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Even a same day verbal offer will take time to get in writing and to complete DBS checks and get a starting date, so it won't happen straight away. But I'd not waste people's time in going to interviews for a job you don't want (or your own time in applying for them). So you need to get your head around what you want from your next step.

IMHO you are thinking way too hard about ticking imaginary boxes and not enough about enjoying the journey. Its really normal to move from non-NHS jobs to an NHS job in the same speciality. You don't say how long you spent in prior roles, or what they have involved, but simply having a common client group doesn't mean they are not helping you gain different competencies. No two services or supervisors are the same, so you learn even when moving to very similar sounding roles. But in this case, you have the major step of entering the NHS with these much more competitive posts that often have much better quality supervision than within some of the private providers. You'll learn loads about multidisciplinary teams, the way psychologists take different roles, current policy and NHS service structures and pressures. So I'd go to the interview and see if you like the sound of the job, and if it is offered to you, rather than overthinking about optimising your CV for future shortlisters.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
BecMac

Post by BecMac »

Thanks both. Since writing this I have been offered 2 NHS AP roles. One with adults and one in CAMHS. I decided to take the one working with adults as I felt it would challenge me more and be a better learning opportunity. I have actually very much enjoyed my journey so far. Thanks for your help.