What jobs should I apply for?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
shaharab

What jobs should I apply for?

Post by shaharab » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Hi,
I will hopefully be graduating this summer with an expected 2:1/1st. I have got a almost 2 years worth of mental health support work, healthcare assistant and research assistant experience. My goal is to try get into a doctorate training course. However, I am unclear to what experience or jobs I should be applying to.
1) Would applying to a Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner role be relevant for clinical psychology?
2) Do AP roles require more experience and how do I maximise my chances of getting one of these roles?
3) Would my current experience be relevant to an AP role and will it help my chances?
Kind Regards
S

boayg

Re: Should I apply for training? / What do I need to do next?

Post by boayg » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 am

shaharab wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm
Hi,
I will hopefully be graduating this summer with an expected 2:1/1st. I have got a almost 2 years worth of mental health support work, healthcare assistant and research assistant experience. My goal is to try get into a doctorate training course. However, I am unclear to what experience or jobs I should be applying to.
1) Would applying to a Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner role be relevant for clinical psychology?
2) Do AP roles require more experience and how do I maximise my chances of getting one of these roles?
3) Would my current experience be relevant to an AP role and will it help my chances?
Kind Regards
S
Go look on the threads that answers all of your questions - before the moderators give you an even less helpful guide lol

workingmama
Team Member

Re: Should I apply for training? / What do I need to do next?

Post by workingmama » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am

shaharab wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm
Hi,
S
Hello Shaharab. Welcome to the site and best of luck with the completion of your undergrad. You'll find this site to be a fantastic collection of information on all of those questions. I'd start with the Wiki (at the top of the board) and read widely. The 'search' function is also good and will help you narrow down what you need. If you have any questions that aren't already written about widely please do post those.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: What jobs should I apply for?

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Shaharab,
As workingmama says, the answers to your questions are all already here for you to look at. The welcome message we send every member when they join explains how to use the forum, and we have pinned posts (such as the one you replied to in order to make this post) on the key themes in each forum section, and we have a huge wiki of the main information at the top of the forum and a great search facility as well as the ability to browse through past posts.
But in brief:
1) Would applying to a Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner role be relevant for clinical psychology? Yes
2) Do AP roles require more experience and how do I maximise my chances of getting one of these roles? Yes. By reading how to write a good application on this forum and in my blog.
3) Would my current experience be relevant to an AP role and will it help my chances? Yes. Somewhat, but you'll need to also write a good application, and probably have more substantive experience as these are highly competitive.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com