Interview for Assistant psychologist in brain injury

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
SarahMack

Interview for Assistant psychologist in brain injury

Post by SarahMack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:24 pm

I have just been phoned to say that I have an interview for an assistant psychologist position with Brain Injury rehabilitation trust. I have no relevant experience in dealing with those with brain Injuries and was wondering if anyone has any advice and what questions they might ask me?

Thanks
Last edited by miriam on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed to reflect the content rather than being generic

ell

Post by ell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Congrats on getting an interview!

If you use the Search function at the top of the site you may find previous discussions related to this type of job.

Good luck!

L

h2eau

Post by h2eau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:07 pm

It might also be worth searching for any posts on neuropsych testing too.

Good luck.
We deem those happy who from experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them ~ C.G. Jung

katz

Post by katz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey, I worked in brain injury as an assistant and have a fair bit of experience in near psych testing.

My suggestion would be to revise the basics of brain structures, executive functioning and behavioural issues. It's a good idea to have an understanding of the wider difficulties/ challenges faced by individuals with ABI including social, occupational, functional, emotional and interpersonal and how you may work with this. It may be useful to do a little reading into testing to show a basic knowledge but I wouldn't get too bogged down in specific tests.

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Hope that helps!

Goats

Post by Goats » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 pm

On a slight tangent check out the 3 part "Brain, A Secret History" series available now on iPlayer, a good introductory episode into brain injury and the impact on Psychology...

...I appreciate not necessarily relevant revision material, but interesting nevertheless

:)

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 am

If it helps, I remember watching a documentary on a teenager who suffered from a brain injury that was broadcasted last summer on channel 4- 'My New Brain' and is still available to watch online.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-n ... /episode-1

The documentary showed the impact of the brain injury on the teenager and his family and friends. I remember feeling very moved by this documentary and found it very interesting to see the impact on brain injury for the teenager and his wider social network.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

mwuhahaha, right, TBI is my cup of tea and my love, so let me see if i can help :)

obviously - search the forum for other posts
know something about neuropsychological testing -why we use them, basics (ie what is a percentile, what does it mean to say that someone is "impaired")

also, know what limitations neuropsychological testing has and perhaps methods of examining it - an example is that someone with brain injury may have impaired motor function, and a lot of neuropsych measuring "attention" relies on how quickly people can draw/write things - so this person may seem to have "impaired attention" when they may not be able to write effectively

Have a brief idea about cognitive rehabilitation - what does it involve, how much can it actually achieve and what do we do when rehabilitation stops - what do we put in place to help people

Have some rough knowledge of brain anatomy and functionality - frontal lobes for example, control our executive functioning and aspects of our personality - damage to them leads to disinhibition and personality change (often becoming quick to anger etc..)

also, reflect on and have a think about the person in the service - brain injury is a hard place to work in, and a lot of the time people dont get better - how are people going to deal with this? - you're going to be potentially dealing with a lot of depression, a lot of anxiety and perhaps some PTSD (Road traffic accidents espescially) - how are you going to perhaps help these people if they have memory problems - they wont be able to do homework or in many cases, remember your sessions and what you told them. Also hve a read around ABC charts and behavioural models/functional analysis - depending on the brain injury severity, you'll be implimenting these too

in these services too, there is potentially a lot of resistence to psychology - because of the physical rehabilitation happening alongside it, people are inclined to concentrate less on their cognitive rehabilitation - you can see yourself in a wheelchair, you cant see your memory loss - so dealing with this?

hope this has helped and good luck with your interview and obviously dont hesitate to ask any more questions - its a fantastic area to work in, and its one that ive fallen in love with :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 am

Elizabeth* wrote:If it helps, I remember watching a documentary on a teenager who suffered from a brain injury that was broadcasted last summer on channel 4- 'My New Brain' and is still available to watch online.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-n ... /episode-1

The documentary showed the impact of the brain injury on the teenager and his family and friends. I remember feeling very moved by this documentary and found it very interesting to see the impact on brain injury for the teenager and his wider social network.
this is a fantastic documentary, at oakleaf (private rehabiliation) - and gives you a fantastic look into what you'll see - recomended 100%

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey, I used to work as an assistant for the brain Injury rehab trust.

BIRT use a neurobehavioural model thoughout, so I would suggest reading up on this, much of my role was about recording and analysing behaviour, and this is what most of the assistants are used for, so be sure to brush up on basic behaviouist stuff. I was involved in doing some functional behaviour analysis and developing guidlines on these principles for support staff. Plus all the neuropsych stuff everyone else has mentioned.

Hayley

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Oh- forgot to mention it but pretty important, BIRT is a psychology lead service which is pretty different to other places, so psychology is valued highly and psychologists tend to be clinical leads. Also BIRT have their own neurotest, may be worth brownie points, called BMIPB, pretty similar to AMIPB.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:37 pm

HayleyT wrote:Oh- forgot to mention it but pretty important, BIRT is a psychology lead service which is pretty different to other places, so psychology is valued highly and psychologists tend to be clinical leads. Also BIRT have their own neurotest, may be worth brownie points, called BMIPB, pretty similar to AMIPB.
its also the most colourful test ive ever used :)

jwalker87

Re: Assistant psychologist

Post by jwalker87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:39 pm

I have an interview for an assistant psychologist job at Oakleaf care. The stuff on here so far has been really useful but I seem to be getting a bit lost as there are so many topics! Does anyone have any tips for an interview in brain injury and rehabilitation?

Any help would be much appriciated

annabel_h

Post by annabel_h » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:41 pm

hey,
personally when i went for a job interview for an ap post in brain injury, they didn't really ask much at all about brain structure, /neuropsych testing, it was a bit more reflective. (NB it wasn't at BIRT or Oakleaf so might not apply to your interview!) They asked about the role of an Ap within the service and your understanding of a multidiscilinary team. i would also have a think about times you faced challenging behaviour as this could come up, it did at my interview. Sadly i didn't get the job as someone had more experience; they also pulled me up on not giving a full description of MDTs: i based my answer on my current experience (ie doctors, nurses, social workers etc) but should have been more specific about other staff involved in brain injury work, such as speech therapists and physiotherapists. Basically, it always pays to do slightly more research on the service than you think you should!

Hope this helps! Good luck

jwalker87

Post by jwalker87 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice I'm about to start my prep now... I find it ok doing research specific to the job, my most hated question are "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want the job"... even though every interview asks them :S

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:58 pm

My only interview so far for an RA post, they asked me something like 'tell me about your history'. I had absolutely no idea where to start with that question :shock: Thinking about it now it seems obvious what kind of things I would say - education history, work experience etc, but my brain just seemed to fall out. Because it was the day after my results I started with my degree, and then seemed to have no idea where to go from there ha. 'Tell me about yourself' type questions like that are awful, but I'd definitely suggest thinking about what you'd say to those types of questions, obviously without basically rehearsing an answer! Good luck and congratulations on the interview :)