Doing Clinical Psychology with Asperger Syndrome Diagnosis?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Spatch

Re: Doing Clinical Psychology with Asperger Syndrome Diagnos

Post by Spatch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

i am going to ask you something back: do you think people only warrant a diagnosis of for example AS if they are "suffering" from it and could access help and support by being diagnosed? I know some people think like that and i also feel a bit guilty about demanding an assessment, even though i dont need any help.
I personally think diagnosis should be along clinical criteria and above the commonly agreed thresholds. I mean if I got, say Malaria in Africa and there was no medical help nearby, I would still regard myself as suffering from Malaria. The help available issue is separate to assessment and problem identification.

However, with things like certain psychological conditions I always tend to find that a formulation approach is often more constructive (but I am going to say that as a psychologist aren't I?) Its one thing to have a personality disorder tag, but a formulation that looks at the various factors that plays into it and gives insight into the implications is a better place to start from surely?

piazza11

Post by piazza11 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Spatch wrote:
i am going to ask you something back: do you think people only warrant a diagnosis of for example AS if they are "suffering" from it and could access help and support by being diagnosed? I know some people think like that and i also feel a bit guilty about demanding an assessment, even though i dont need any help.
I personally think diagnosis should be along clinical criteria and above the commonly agreed thresholds. I mean if I got, say Malaria in Africa and there was no medical help nearby, I would still regard myself as suffering from Malaria. The help available issue is separate to assessment and problem identification.

However, with things like certain psychological conditions I always tend to find that a formulation approach is often more constructive (but I am going to say that as a psychologist aren't I?) Its one thing to have a personality disorder tag, but a formulation that looks at the various factors that plays into it and gives insight into the implications is a better place to start from surely?
yeah, the help available issue is seperate, i think you misunderstood me there. what i meant was, do you think only people who are "suffering" from AS warrant a diagnosis, as opposed to those who also have it, but cope fine with it. in terms of cost effectiveness: why spend money diagnosing people just for the sake of it if they dont need any help anyways.

i dont understand your second paragraph.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Why shouldn't you have a diagnosis, just for the sake of self-knowledge? I wouldn't say I 'suffer' from eczema on my feet, but it helps me that a doctor has said what it is, even though there is little I can do about it except live with it and test out whether any lifestyle type adjustments (moisturising, going barefoot more, managing stress perhaps) have any effect.

Btw, having two IDs is against our rules. I can see why you've done it, and I've let this thread run its course but given your main ID was pretty anonymous anyway it seems somewhat redundant, and we will need to ask you to close one or other account by the end of the weekend.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

piazza11

Post by piazza11 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 pm

okay, i will close this account as i got out of this thread what i wanted anyways. i cannot find the function tho, so you can just close this acc now.

russ

Post by russ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Spatch wrote: Russ you have given me a lot of food for thought there. Any particular references for these ideas as I would quite like to follow those up?
I'd check out 'On being normal and other disorders' by Verhaege and 'A beginner's guide to Lacan' by Bailly.
metrotherapy: personal and professional development for psychologists at all stages in their career

blan09

Post by blan09 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:47 pm

I found this thread (and link to previous one on same topic) only now and it's so very helpful to read ... I got my formal AS diagnosis only last year (being just over 40 years old) and having diagnosis really helped me to understand myself better. I used to work as child psychologist in another country 16 years ago, but since coming to the UK I worked in different roles and was also busy getting married and raising a child, so I missed my chance for conversion my degrees to UK psychology and now need to go for full doctorate training. I applied and had interview for DClinPsy once so far few years ago and did not get a place. This year I am applying for the second time. I was going to PM piazza11 but as that account is closed not sure how to make contact. So if piazza11 under the original name reads this my post, I am open to have a chat via PM about getting AS diagnosis. I was wondering how to find out other students, psychologists, APs who might have formal AS diagnosis (or see AS traits in themselves without getting formal diagnosis) and was not managing to find anyone until today, reading this post and doing search and sending PM to two other ClinPsy members who wrote about their AS diagnosis previously.