To take or not to take?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Hazjr

To take or not to take?

Post by Hazjr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I have recently been offered a weeks worth of experience with a cardiologist consultant. Although my aim is to go down the clinical psychology route, do you think this could be classed as 'relevant' experience?

Would you take this opportunity?

Regards
Hazjr

bicycleclips

Re: To take or not to take?

Post by bicycleclips » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 pm

What else would you be doing with your week? If it's daytime telly then what have you got to lose?

Seriously though I am currently working on a emergency miscarriage unit as part of a research team, and when I shadowed the consultant during my first week I got a lot of psychology-relevant experience from learning skills in supporting patients through hearing very bad news. I imagine cardiology gets some of these too.
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I wouldn't say this would be classed as "relevant experience" for an application to the doctorate because it is so short and not really in the right setting. However, it could be interesting and offer you some useful insights. As bicycleclips asks -what else would you be doing with those five days?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Blackbubblequeen

Post by Blackbubblequeen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm currently working as an AP in physical health and one of the main areas I work in is cardiology. As such I'd say go for it, I've learnt a lot from working within health settings so it would be useful for you. Although, as BlueCat says it's not the kind of experience you would put on a doctoral application!