Trainee Therapeutic Parent or Support Worker

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
orangejuice

Trainee Therapeutic Parent or Support Worker

Post by orangejuice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm wondering which would be the most relevant experience for clinical. The support work would be working with people with mental health problems and learning disabilities.

The Trainee Therapeutic Parent job is working in a residential home for children who have been through trauma. I would have regular meetings with clinical child psychologists to discuss how they children are doing.

I really like the sound of the second job and it feels strange to compare them like this, but I do want to do Clinical eventually. I'm also thinking the Trainee Therapeutic Parent job may need to be for a few years as they do invest in your training.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by miriam on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: minor edit made to reduce risk of defamation from later content of thread

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Trainee Therapeutic Parent or Support Worker

Post by Geishawife » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I think both jobs sound equally relevant! Given that, I would go for the job that you think would suit you best and would give you the most satisfaction. Obviously not knowing you or your circumstances it's not possible to tell how long ago you graduated and where you are along the path to clinical, but I would say don't be in too much of a hurry to get onto clinical training. If the parenting job needs a couple of years investment it's probably worth giving that investment because there is so much scope for learning and development. The clinical course will still be there in 2 or 3 years time!

enid

Post by enid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

No advice but the second one does sound more (/very) interesting. have you been offered them both? If not, apply for both.

graduateak

Post by graduateak » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Sounds like you are leaning towards the second one already. I'd say go with the one you're most excited by as both sound relevant. The way I make decisions sometimes is to flip a coin, and notice if you're relieved or disappointed by which option it picks.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 am

The one that has the most contact with clinical psychologists as it will give you an understanding of the role and how clin psychs understand and intervene with clinical issues.
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

orangejuice

Post by orangejuice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks for all the replies! I've been offered the support worker role but think I will definitely take the second one if offered it.

MKnight

Post by MKnight » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Even if you are not offered the second role, I would suggest looking for a Support Worker positions elsewhere. I've worked for [name of organisation redacted] before and there's nothing good I can say about the company or at least the London Bridge/South branch. Maybe situation is better in other regions/branches but some of the issues are definitely trust-wide and you will be underpaid for what you do.
Last edited by miriam on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: organisation name redacted because comments are potentially defamatory

orangejuice

Post by orangejuice » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:22 pm

MKnight wrote:Even if you are not offered the second role, I would suggest looking for a Support Worker positions elsewhere. I've worked for [name of organisation redacted] before and there's nothing good I can say about the company or at least the London Bridge/South branch. Maybe situation is better in other regions/branches but some of the issues are definitely trust-wide and you will be underpaid for what you do.
Thanks for the advice. I've realized I'll be underpaid working for them as they don't pay for travel time or petrol costs. But I'm hoping that the experience will be very relevant for clinical. Did you find this? I didn't get the Therapeutic Parent job so am thinking I'll have to accept the support worker one.

MKnight

Post by MKnight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Any mental health experience will be highly relevant. The good thing about [name of organisation redacted] is that they hire anyone, without qualifications or prior experience. And when you are in, you can develop yourself and get the skills required to succeed in the interviews for a different organisation. All the bad things you will soon find out. I do not regret the time I've spent with them as I've learned a lot. But I've learned not because the company or my team supported me, but because I wanted to, and made the best of my short time there.

Hm, you mention they don't pay for travel, so I'm assuming you will be working in the community instead of a supported housing/care home. That's no good really. You can't develop or achieve much there to be honest. I would strongly suggest looking for something else. Try Mencap or any other organisation, not [name of organisation redacted].
Last edited by miriam on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove name of organisation to prevent claims of defamation

orangejuice

Post by orangejuice » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm

MKnight wrote:Any mental health experience will be highly relevant. The good thing about [name of organisation redacted] is that they hire anyone, without qualifications or prior experience. And when you are in, you can develop yourself and get the skills required to succeed in the interviews for a different organisation. All the bad things you will soon find out. I do not regret the time I've spent with them as I've learned a lot. But I've learned not because the company or my team supported me, but because I wanted to, and made the best of my short time there.

Hm, you mention they don't pay for travel, so I'm assuming you will be working in the community instead of a supported housing/care home. That's no good really. You can't develop or achieve much there to be honest. I would strongly suggest looking for something else. Try Mencap or any other organisation, not [name of organisation redacted].
Why do you say it's different working in supported housing/ a care home to working in the community? As you say you learnt because you wanted to rather than from any support you got. I do think it will be difficult working for them, but even Support Worker jobs in the NHS etc want people with prior experience of working in a mental health team. I start next week so fingers crossed it will be OK.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:38 pm

With all due respect to MKnight, who clearly found working for this organisation difficult, I would try to put what they have said on the back burner for a while and make your own judgements about the relative merits of this company after you start working for them. I really don't think it's a good idea to go into any job with any pre-conceived ideas about what might or might not happen. Just because one person had a negative experience does not mean everybody will and even MKnight feels they learnt something. So I would go in with an open mind and see what you make of it rather than assuming "it will be difficult working for them". Even if it IS very difficult and you feel you want to move on, you will have some useful experiences to reflect on for future applications. Even the negative experiences can teach us something, but I'd be wary of EXPECTING it to be negative. Try it before you draw any conclusions.

sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:54 am

I just want to add, I had a support worker position for two years which was largely based in the community with some supported living work mixed in, and I found that I learnt so much more from working in the community as I had to act on my feet, deal with an awful lot in terms of complex cases, and there was never a dull moment! Im dont know anything about the organisation you are looking at working with- but I certainly wouldn't rule out the experience you are likely to get- even if you move on quickly x

orangejuice

Post by orangejuice » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you for these useful replies. I'm really looking forward to starting so I agree with not thinking about it as negative.

EmmaAW

Post by EmmaAW » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:16 pm

I have also worked as a support worker in the community so have to disagree with what MKnight is saying as I found it to be excellent experience and the position allowed me to develop skills that are relevant to becoming a CP. I wonder what makes you come to the conclusion that work in the community is not as good as working in a care setting/home? Make the most of being offered the position and there is nothing stopping you looking for jobs that are higher up the experience ladder in the meantime. A job working as a support worker is better than no job, and the interaction with service users is excellent experience, especially working with individuals with mental health problems and learning disabilities.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I've worked for a private company in a care home setting, within someone's home and in a supported living home and all had been valuable experience. Take what opportunities and experience you can and enjoy it. I'll agree the job is stressful and exhausting at times, and can be frustrating when you did your social life tricky to organise but I don't regret it. Plus this experience will help more with NHS and other roles.

Enjoy and good luck for your first day!