MSc questions

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Aanneett

MSc questions

Post by Aanneett » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:05 am

Hi, hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine.

Today, I found out that I have a First Class Honours Degree in Psychology, Counselling and Therapies. For this reason, university will cover my MSc fees, but I've got difficulties with deciding which course will be best for me.

1) MSc Health Psychology - this course covers some aspects of clinical psychology and is accredited, therefore I could always change my mind and become Health Psychologist. Course sounds very interesting and I believe that I would learn a lot of practical and academic skills. However, I would have to travel to the university, and spend a lot of time on the lectures and tutorials, which means another year of struggling financialy (trains are very expensive!). It will also mean another year of writing essays and doing exams.

2) MSc by research - my undergraduate dissertation supervisor believes that this would be a good option for me, and she wants to take me again as her student. Working with this lady helped me a lot in the past year, thanks to her support I have been awarded a scholarship to publish my dissertation, and I already got 3 publications from the other projects we were working on. She also motivated me to submit my abstract to different conferences, and i have been presenting 3 times this year already. I believe that if I stay working with this lady I will achieve a lot, including outside of the University, as she includes me in her other projects. This will also eliminate all the traveling, which will give me some spare hours to get a job. I just believe that I would learn less than during the normal, taught course.

I am not sure what to do. What would look better on the CV? Is any of these better from the clinical perspective, or it doesn't really matter? Health psychology covers clinical psychology in some aspects, however while doing MSc by research I could get a relevant work experience.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
sarahg

Re: MSc questions

Post by sarahg » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:08 pm

These sort of questions are posted on here a lot.

Ultimately, only you can decide. Having received a 1:1 classification for UG degree, you do not need to do a MSc to boost your academic record for the doctorate.

It is therefore important to do something that you enjoy.

If you do the MSc by research (which are often highly regarding masters), try and make sure you do something clinically relevant if the Clin Psych doctorate is something you are aiming to apply for in the future.