Working in Sweden

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ErinAlice

Working in Sweden

Post by ErinAlice » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice about working in Sweden. I've been working as an assistant psychologist in the NHS and a research assistant in a combined university/NHS post for just over 3 years. Ultimately, I am interested in pursuing the doctorate in clinical psychology, but am also strongly interested in expanding the evidence base through research. I have 2 publications and have disseminated my research at several conferences, however I do not have any post graduate qualifications after completing my BSc psychology degree. Currently I am working with children with ASD which is a keen area of interest but I have also worked in mental health and health psychology settings with adults and children.

For personal reasons, I am considering a move to Sweden and I am unsure what my opportunities would be as an English speaking psychology graduate. I would like to pursue a relevant career and any advice would be much appreciated. If anyone has made the move and has any experiences they would like to share I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

ell

Re: Working in Sweden

Post by ell » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 pm

I've not worked in Sweden, but have spent some time there, and would have loved to move there.

A large number of Swedes speak excellent English, so in theory you could work psychologically with someone there. However, I would imagine that people prefer to receive input from someone in their native language, and so you would likely struggle to find work without speaking a good level of Swedish. While I learned some Swedish while I was over there, I knew that there was no way I would ever become proficient enough in the language that I could work in a profession where the subtleties of language are so important. Swedish is not the hardest language, but I am not talented in that area. Also, my area of 'expertise' is with older adults, particularly those with dementia, and older people are less likely to speak English there, especially with a cognitive impairment.

That was my pessimistic view, and why I decided not to consider moving there, however much I loved it (Umeå to be precise). Others may have different thoughts. You may also have a good level of Swedish already. I'm not sure what the situation would be in universities,for more research type jobs. I made English friends over there who were working in the university, and I think they operated in English, because there were people from all sorts of places working there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

astra

Post by astra » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:25 pm

I doubt if many of us would have much more to add here, it seems a very "niche" question to me. Most people on here are either pursuing a career in CP in the UK or are working as a CP in the UK. I guess we do get some enquiries about working abroad, or people from abroad coming here to work, so someone might have more to say on this, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

ErinAlice

Post by ErinAlice » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks for the advice.
EA

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I have relatives working in Sweden in University and hospital settings. Universities are mainly English speaking and academic writing is also mainly in English,so that may an option. My relative working ina hospital had to have level of Swedish, including specific qualifications in Swedish and medical Swedish before being consided for any roles.