Experience - Catch 22

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
AJ555

Experience - Catch 22

Post by AJ555 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've had a number of interviews for AP jobs over the past year or so, and I always get given the same feedback. "Someone else has more experience than you, try and get more experience". The experience they refer to is mostly regarding things such as cognitive assessments, and you can't exactly get that experience without getting an AP job.

It's really frustrating me at the moment. I work in the third sector and facing potential redundancies which doesn't help.

Does anyone have any advice? I have held an honorary AP post and do have some experience with things they need me to get more experience in...

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Experience - Catch 22

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

My top tip is to apply for non NHS AP posts - they get only 10% of the number of applicants, but can provide just as good experience (although the quality can be more variable).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

skittles96

Re: Experience - Catch 22

Post by skittles96 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm in the exact same boat.

The last few interviews I've had for AP roles have been 'positive' in the sense my critique is not about the interview itself, but my experience. I check the person specs for these jobs and it seems that it doesn't state prior experience as an AP as desirable nor essential (although I know this is common sense) it would save me and the company a lot of time and money regarding travelling for interviews. Im based in a tiny village in Wales trying to branch out :lol: and I don't have the money to keep travelling / hotel expenses to be hearing the same feedback.

My tip would be if you're able to maybe keep searching for varied honorary AP roles both in and non-NHS. Or maybe ask the recruiter for advice on how you may be able to gain experience.. they may even have you as a volunteer facilitating those assessments if they have the resources too!