Changing role within applied psychology?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Potato

Changing role within applied psychology?

Post by Potato » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am

Hello,

Would anyone know if it's possible to convert from being a counselling psychologist to a clinical/forensic/occupational psychologist?
Is there any scope for movement after the doctorate without completing a second doctorate/masters :?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
latelifechanger

Re: Changing role within applied psychology?

Post by latelifechanger » Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am

I don't know the answer, but am intrigued to find out too, as I'm weighing up how I approach my post MSc conversion route (I'm a later changer, loads of experience in another, not health career but a lot of management experience which would make me most eligible for Occ Psych but more attracted by Clinical/Counselling).

What's your path been? What is it you are looking for exactly out of a change?

Potato

Post by Potato » Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

Ah good that its not just me :)

I'm just wondering which doctorate to select because I'm not sure if I'm 100% 'sold' on any particular one

latelifechanger

Post by latelifechanger » Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 pm

So my thing is - I am 41 and have kids, really can't move (in London) and have my family to think about. I think that ten years ago, I'd have thrown myself into the clinical route - but though I do have meet the academic criteria, I'm worried about time to get into the doctorate. So my plan is (after spending next year on consolidation of experience ) to go for Counselling Psych unless sometimes prompts me to rethink.

Occ psy is an interesting one. Some bits of it appeal, some not. It seems to me after asking around quite a bit that HR/CIPD have a very wide scope in the UK which puts some limits on occ psy in some settings, and the 'need' to be fully chartered isn't always clear - there are all sorts of business psych routes, management consultancies that work on leadership etc etc WITHOUT the need to occ psy. Then there's the whole coaching thing....confusing in itself.

I suspect that (perhaps less so for clinical) that there is some crossover between work areas if you want it. You didn't mention Health Psych - that's another option :)

Where are you at with it?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm

There is some flexibility in role once you are qualified (eg counselling psychologists doing CP like posts) but I'm not aware of any means to change category as a lateral transfer. I believe that there used to be the ability to "top up" to the competencies and experiences of a different practitioner category in the days before the HCPC, but I'm not aware of that now.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare