Living abroad

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Post Reply
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Living abroad

Post by ashgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I moved abroad (eu) a couple of years ago temporarily. I am thinking about coming back and starting the application process (probably for ed psych). I've read something about residence requirements but it's not very clear. I get that I need a UK address to apply. It seems I need to be in the UK to apply. But do I need to wait 3 years to be long term resident again? It reads like that's only for people coming to the UK to study rather than UK nationals but it's not clear. I didn't realise that was the case when I left and it would really suck to have to wait 3 more years to get started.

Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit:
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Re: Living abroad

Post by NotReally » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 am

Hi ashgirl

As far as I'm aware, a move to mainland EU for 2 years or so will not affect your UK nationality . I'm not even sure about this, but at most it may mean you now have dual citizenship. The residency lingo is always confusing, but I think you'd qualify under "UK/EEA national" and so can disregard the rest, unless there is something I'm missing :?

Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Living abroad

Post by alexh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 am

It's not primarily about nationality, it's about being 'ordinarily resident' and 'settled' according to specific legal definitions for immigration purposes. The fact that you've moved within the EEA is important in that EEA and UK citizens should be treated the same (at the present time) for establishing fees status. UK or EEA = home fees.

Further, although I think it's not important in your case, someone who moves abroad temporarily remains 'ordinarily resident' in the UK. ... layer-6085

Why do you need a UK address to apply?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest