Rejections

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
AJ555

Rejections

Post by AJ555 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey, I'm hoping someone may have advice.

I have been fortunate enough to have been shortlisted for a number of AP roles over the last few years... but with absolutely no success following the interview. Most psychologists have given me great feedback and I've worked on this. However the last few interviews I have had, I've been close to being offered the post.. but not good enough but "put on reserve". The psychologists haven't really given me any advice the last few times because there's nothing they can suggest - it's just "others have been at it longer" and "someone else has more experience."

I'm feeling rather deflated right now and I want to progress somewhere from my current role. At the moment I'm a mental health support worker in the third sector and as much as I love my job, I want to progress in my career.
A bit of background - I completed my undergrad 4 years ago, and finished my masters last year. I've had an honorary AP role and I've been in my current role for 2 years.

I just don't know where to go from here.
I am going to be applying for the doctorate and I know AP jobs aren't essential but there's also no guarantee I'd be shortlisted for that.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Rejections

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 pm

AP posts are much more competitive than the doctorate, so I’d not panic about that. And the hardest bit is getting interviews, so you are doing well. But you might benefit from a mock interview with detailed feedback. I assume you ask for feedback after each unsuccessful interview, so what do they say you need to work on?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

AJ555

Re: Rejections

Post by AJ555 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes I have asked for feedback after all my interviews and I have definitely improved with my responses over time.

Recent feedback I've had is to talk a bit more about supervision and look at guidelines around this, and another one was to incorporate more psychologically-minded responses. Both of which I have taken on board and in my latest interview I felt it went really well. The last interview I had they literally could not give me any constructive feedback (I've interviewed with those psychologists twice prior to this) this time... other than other people "have been at it longer".
I think I'm just feeling a bit frustrated and annoyed at the moment and at the point of "what more can I do?"
I guess for the time being I will stop being annoyed at this and start focusing on the doctorate applications!