Careers in maternal mental health?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
danuutka

Careers in maternal mental health?

Post by danuutka » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello. I am a final year Psychology student, who is on course for a 1st class degree. I spent a year in industry working within an inpatient psychiatric CAMHS unit, and have volunteered with vulnerable youth for about a year. I am also currently involved in mental health based societies at university.

I'm mainly posting this to ask if there are any jobs I could go for that people are aware of, once I graduate. I have a particular interest in maternal mental health, and I am writing my dissertation on this topic. However when I try to research it online, most of the jobs within maternal mental health require a midwifery background.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Careers in maternal mental health?

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Hello

Perinatal Mental Health services strikes me as being the most linked service. They tend to employ a number of different professionals including clinical psychologists.

I know there has been a huge amount of investment in this area recently.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Look for roles in NHS mother and baby units, and also consider the third sector - Women's Aid, supported accommodation for homeless women and their children, etc. They tend to recruit for support workers and mentors fairly often.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Northernlad

Post by Northernlad » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Many of the IAPT teams I have worked in have also had PWPs/HI therapists working into perinatal pathways.