What do i do next? Study or Work?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Natsspowell

What do i do next? Study or Work?

Post by Natsspowell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:06 am

I left university last year with a undergrad degree in abnormal and clinical psychology.
I have been working as a HCA for the past year and want to progress.
I just don't know what to do, I want to get into psychotherapy but the route is very tedious and involves lots of study. I am very passionate and want to do it but I don't know what to do in the mean time to make real money so I can save, rent an apartment etc. I am tired of being a HCA and feel I need more responsibility. I am contemplating doing a masters in social work just so I can get into a career and then study while I do that.
Or thinking about doing a diploma in counselling so I can get everything I need to do my Master quickly.
Or maybe mental health nursing.
I just don't know what to do or the route to take to enable me to get to become a psychotherapist before I'm 30 :cry:

Any advice please.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: What do i do next? Study or Work?

Post by miriam » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 am

Training in psychotherapy or counselling isn't nearly as competitive or prolonged as training in clinical psychology. So just go train! Or do it via nursing or social work, if you want income on the way and a wider profession to fall back on.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

mungle

Re: What do i do next? Study or Work?

Post by mungle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 pm

You could try counselling, art/drama/music therapy (masters FT over 2 years or PT over 3 years), PWP work etc. There is also graduate MH Nursing, OT, Social Work, Youth Work etc. These will also give you a core profession should you want (potentially paid via the NHS) training in a therapy after a few years of practice e.g. HI Training in IAPT or Family Therapy.