Trainee Forensic Psychologist

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
natalie427

Trainee Forensic Psychologist

Post by natalie427 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi all,

I currently work within a childrens home delivering therapeutic programmes around trauma, sexual self-endangerment and sexualised behaviours. I LOVE my job there is not much I don’t like about it. My team is great, I have flexibility with the therapy I provide, the children are great etc. The company is currently attempting to set up the opportunity to complete the stage 2 which will be funded - great opportunity.

However, I noticed a job advert for a trainee forensic psychologist with MOJ. I applied as there was a significant pay increase and the trainee aspect was appealing . But please note I stumbled across this and was not actively searching.

Anyway, I rush my application, got an interview / roleplay etc. Since the Assessment Center I have been given a provisional job offer. Weirdly however, I am still none the wiser on where this job would be based, who the client would be and details around wage , annual leave etc.

I’m now in a rock and a hard place, especially as my current company are looking at trying to match the job offer (when it comes through) financially.

My question is:
What are you thoughts around the situation?
Are the trainee forensic psychologist roles thought highly of? What are the pros and cons to this role?

Any advice would be helpful - I have researched the role online but read very little so even not fully sure of what the role involves

maven
Site Admin

Re: Trainee Forensic Psychologist

Post by maven » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 pm

What stage 2 are your current employers funding? What is your career goal? Do you want to work in prisons? Is there a tie-in period with the potential sponsor of the trainee place? Will your current employers fund the birmingham doctorate?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Iggy1

Re: Trainee Forensic Psychologist

Post by Iggy1 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Well done on passing the assessment centre, it's hard going! The MOJ have started recruiting nationally for trainee posts region by region (i.e. you're based in a prison in your region but will also be required to travel to other establishments in that area) so where your based might depend on where the vacancies are- if you're worried maybe you could enquire as to where they're planning on placing you? Salary and annual leave entitlements are usually listed on the original advert. Good luck whatever you decide!