Volunteer research role

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
kezkel

Volunteer research role

Post by kezkel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working as a trainee care coordinator within a community mental health team. Prior to this I have around 2 and half years work as a support worker in various places. As well as two years volunteer experience running a crisis line for students.
I am starting next week as a mental health professional with a home treatment team. While I know some doctorates may not value this very highly as i am not supervised by a clinical psychologist I am hoping it will give me the transferable skills to have a good shot of applying for a doctorate (or at least a good shot of getting an assistant psych role if not).

However i am aware my academic background is not very strong. I got a low 2.1 in my BSC and am now on track to get a high merit in a masters in Mental health social work (finishing July 2021). However my master does not include a research component.

I am therefore hoping to find a voluntary research assistant role (or voluntary assistant psychology role with a large research component) one day a week to start to boost my academic record. Do people think this is worth doing or is one day a week not really enough? If this is worthwhile can anyone suggest how/where to find one? I have been looking for the last few months with no luck. I have spoken to a few of the clinical psychs in our trust but none of those i have spoken to have time to do much research.

Thanks in advance

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Volunteer research role

Post by miriam » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 pm

I'd speak to academics who are local and doing clinically relevant research. They are much more likely to be research active than clinicians and might be able to identify something you can get involved with.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com