Would a Counselling MSc help to get AP jobs?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
C0nfused

Would a Counselling MSc help to get AP jobs?

Post by C0nfused » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi!

I have an interview for a MSc Counselling course coming up soon. I was just wondering, if I changed my mind about becoming a Counsellor after completing the course, would the MSc help me to gain jobs as APs or RAs? Or would they be placing more value on other types of training/jobs?

So far, I have had a bit of experience as a RA, but it was only an 8 week part time internship at my uni. Further experience within this kind of sector includes my Support Worker job (for about 2 months) and I'm currently gaining experience as a SEN teaching assistant.

I gained a First Class Honours in my undergraduate Psychology degree.

Thank you,

maven
Site Admin

Re: Would a Counselling MSc help to get AP jobs?

Post by maven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Not really, though it would depend what post. Counselling skills are not the same as clinical psychology skills, and you will rarely be expected to deliver therapy as an AP, and when you do it will be with evidence-based models like CBT. The engagement and relationship skills might help in an IAPT application, or in a post in a private provider where doing direct work is part of the role more, but I'd see it adding little if anything to applications for most AP posts, especially as you already have a first (if you had a lower mark and the course had a substantial research component then getting a distinction and/or publication could show your academic clout). But I'd say to do it as a path to counselling if that is what you have in mind, rather than to make life easier on the path to CP.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 am

FWIW I found my counselling training to be enormously useful in my CP work, and I found the counselling training to look in significantly more depth into my own person make-up and what that means about my own practice than the DClinPsy did. It has definitely shaped much of my practice when I work therapeutically. I couldn't say what the course selectors made of it, and whether it counted towards their offering me a place. It may not have been relevant.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm

I was just wondering, if I changed my mind about becoming a Counsellor after completing the course, would the MSc help me to gain jobs as APs or RAs? Or would they be placing more value on other types of training/jobs?
There isn't a straightforward answer to this, as it will depend on the opportunities afforded by any given course, your individual characteristics, experience and the 'other types of training/jobs' you are talking about.

The MSc qualification by itself isn't going to be a sure win to getting an AP post for reasons Miriam points out. Very few AP posts have a requirement to deliver counselling which is what your MSc presumably would be focussed on. However, let's just say that a CP needed an AP to help develop a compassion focussed support group to be delivered by a non-qualified, and your MSc happened to have exposed and trained you in that approach that would be something you could sell. Or if your MSc had required you to develop in demand skills around data analysis or let you work on a project that gave your authorship on several papers in high impact journals that would be impressive to an academic looking for an RA (as most RAs won't have this on their CVs).

Similarly, if you decide you want to focus on the corporate world after you finished the MSc, it may not be useful, but it could be if you decided to go into special needs education or working in parts of the police. A lot will really depend on how you approach things and your resourcefulness.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/