Learning Support Assistant Positions with Children - Help?!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
beceb13

Learning Support Assistant Positions with Children - Help?!

Post by beceb13 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi All!

I am looking at psychology positions to get experience in the field and notice that when you search for Psychology Graduate Positions there are a lot of opportunities in schools to work with children with learning difficulties and autism 1:1. I was wondering if anyone has had one of these positions and what you experiences were in that role? Is it a good role to gain experience? Is there a reason there are so many of these positions currently advertising?

Any help or advice would be fab!

Thank you!! :)

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Learning Support Assistant Positions with Children - Help?!

Post by miriam » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 am

I'd say they are good first step on the ladder experience. The reason there are lots now is that they advertise for each school year, starting in September, and they have relatively high turnover as they are either filled by new graduates exploring whether they want to work in education, health or social care, or by parents - and both are likely to move on after a year or two. Plus coronavirus has also meant that some posts were furloughed or cut whilst schools were closed. I think there is a little bit of extra funding around now, but not enough to recruit additional qualified teaching staff. Demands for support staff might be increased by social distancing, meaning individual LSA's can't be shared between class groups, and they might well be wanting additional support to help kids to re-engage and catch up after the time off.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

hawke

Re: Learning Support Assistant Positions with Children - Help?!

Post by hawke » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 pm

My work experience was in schools, before moving into psychology and mental health. They are definitely excellent experience in terms of developing your practical human-to-human relational skills, which is ultimately the core of psychology. It's also a very good cross-over between educational and clinical psychology, so you can explore which side interests you more. In my experience, it's not so good for developing psychological skills - you almost certainly won't meet a psychologist let alone be supervised by one. They can be very good stepping stones to other roles though.