Pregnant, non-patient contact & bored!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
fayemacis

Pregnant, non-patient contact & bored!

Post by fayemacis » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 pm

Hey all,

4 weeks ago I found out that I'm pregnant. Due to the nature of my work (Healthcare Facilitator on the intensive care ward at Broadmoor Hospital), I had to inform my employers immediately. I was taken off patient contact and the next day was informed that due to Covid, all pregnant women at the hospital had to remain at home, so I've been at home the last 4 weeks.

I returned today to work today after being risk assessed and cleared, however until my maternity ends I am not allowed to work anywhere there are patients (obviously), so I am stuck in the admin offices. I'm 3 hours in to my first day back, and I have no work to do. As a glorified HCA, my role on the ward was all hands on and revolved around the patients, so now I essentially have no job, and given I'm only 13 weeks pregnant, I'm stuck here for quite a long time! I know to many this sounds amazing, but I'm one of those people that likes/needs to be busy & challenged, and I get very miserable when I'm not. My manager doesn't seem concerned that I don't have anything to do, saying I should 'do whatever' and 'slow down and enjoy it'. I also feel like by not having patient contact or being involved in patient care at all, my application will take a hit, particularly if I am unsuccessful with this years application (I'm still applying for 2021 entry).

I guess what I'm asking is this:
Does anyone have any recommendations on places I can properly keep up with reading research publications, for free/not too expensive.
Does anyone know of any short courses I can do when I'm stuck in the office without work, that might bolster my application? Free or otherwise?

NOTE: I should also say I am a Bank Assistant Psychologist within the hospital. Last week they emailed myself and my line manager saying they have some work they could give me, but this relies on my manager completing some forms that will take a few weeks. So I do have something in the pipeline, but it's not going to fill 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week!

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Pregnant, non-patient contact & bored!

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Is there a possibility you could be doing audit work during this period? That would have the double advantage of not only filling the time but also giving you something extra to put on your application. Might be worth enquiring. Good luck and best wishes re the pregnancy.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:11 am

Could you offer to work with someone on a clinical audit? This would support the service, upskill you, and potentially give you increased access to to CP?
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:24 pm

I used to work for the same trust and you can sign up to the library and access Athens.

I would also second recommendation around doing service evaluations and audits.

Is there a ward psychologist if so could you speak to them to see whether they have any ideas?