Careers advice experienced CBT therapist

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
pickled

Careers advice experienced CBT therapist

Post by pickled »

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, and I had to open a new account as I've lost the details of my original one.

I'm hoping for some advice from some people on here who are further along their career than most, as the position I am in is rather unusual. I will try and keep it short.

I'm a accredited CBT therapist and I've been working in mental health for approximately 8 years now. I've been in various band 7 posts for half that time. I've applied for the ClinD 3 times, the third time being this year so I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of my application. I've never been shortlisted before.

I applied in 2018 and didn't get shortlisted. Consequently I decided not to apply again in future, took a step back and start. I've struggled working in IAPT as it's not a good fit with my values and after a number of years I started to feel deskilled. Therefore I started to pursue other posts that would increase my skill set. I accepted a non-clinical post that concentrated on working with mental health services more systemically. However, the pandemic happened and I was redeployed to an inpatient service to utilise my clinical and non-clinical skills. I absolutely loved it! It was challenging but I really enjoyed my time there. It reignited my drive for why I wanted to become a clinical psychologist all those years ago. CBT therapists don't usually work in inpatient services, or certainly not from my experience. So it lead me to apply for the doctorate this year, as I wanted to work in those settings and work in an MDT model.

However, in December the inpatient unit I was redeployed to advertised for a permanent CBT therapist position, I was offered the post and I've accepted. This is the first time the unit have hired a CBT therapist. I have spoke to the clinical psychologist/ my upcoming supervisor for the unit and she has offered me some amazing training, e.g. the cbtp pgdip, DBT skills training and one of the aims of the post is to upskill staff within the unit. Literally everything I have wanted in a post. There is pressure for me to commit to the pgdip asap for finance reasons, but due to my ClinD application I've been reluctant.

So I don't know what to do now. This post is band 7, 10 minutes away from where I live, it's permanent. The doctorate, if I was to be offered a place would likely involve relocation (3/4 course centres are not local and were chosen based on best values fit), along with relocating my family and a huge pay cut. I'm in my early 30s, married with a mortgage so its no small upheaval. I suppose I am asking for people's opinions, is the doctorate "worth it" for someone in my position?

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read all of the above. :D
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Careers advice experienced CBT therapist

Post by miriam »

Commit, and worry about the choice if and when you get offered a place on training! You can never guarantee your life won't change 6+ months in the future.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
hs577

Post by hs577 »

Hi,

It seems from the information you’ve given, that this role would give you the majority/all you’re looking for.

I don’t know much about it but there is the independent route to a doctorate through the bps I think.

Also in my area there are band 8 positions for those who are cbt therapists or other types of psychotherapists in cmht, inpatient areas etc. Especially those with core professions such as nurses, occupational therapists, social workers although there are plenty without core professions. I’m just adding this if you were concerned about limiting progression opportunities.
pickled

Post by pickled »

Thank you for your replies.

hs577, yes I am concerned about progression opportunities, it's taken a lot of CPD and risks shall we say to get where I am today. I don't have a core profession and I'm finding that it has become a barrier particularly in my local trusts. It's good to hear that this isn't the case in other geographical areas.

I'm considering all of this now because I'm getting pressure from my new employer to commit to the PGDip and for the money to be spent in this years budget as there is currently a surplus. I don't want to commit to this and then leave in 6 months, it isn't fair to my employer.

I will just see what happens I suppose! Thanks
hs577

Post by hs577 »

Hi pickled,

It’s a tough position to be in but overall you won’t possibly know any outcomes until March- June in all likelihood from the doctorate courses. Whereas you’ve got a firm option with the pgdip. Therefore as Miriam says it’s likely best to commit to this and then further review what to do when you know of firm other options/offers. Does your supervisor know you’ve applied to the doctorate given it was the redeployment that re ignited this?

Also have you read the book cbt for acute inpatient mental health units by Clarke and Wilson already given your interests it might be a good read?

It might be that you’re able to have progression opportunities such as b8 in this role maybe? Again there are independent options if you wish to pursue a doctorate or even phd that your current work might be able to support you through maybe?

Hope this helps as I feel your predicament. You have a lot to consider as you’re likely at the top of band 7, have mortgage and family commitments as you’ve highlighted then dropping to the bottom of band 6.

Then after 3 years technically no guarantee of a job on graduating or possible thesis related delays, amendments, possible personal reasons for deferral etc. Although wouldn’t envisage anyone having difficulties getting a role once qualified. I think it’s more getting the speciality that you want that’s local that could cause delays so again it might mean moving in 3-4 years again.

Sorry for any typos on my phone.