Has anyone got onto a PG Dip CBT course via IAPT?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Anonysoph

Has anyone got onto a PG Dip CBT course via IAPT?

Post by Anonysoph »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to plan my future and am getting very confused to say the least!

Has anyone been able to get a place on a PG Dip CBT course in order to become a fully qualified licensed CBT therapist via IAPT training alone e.g- trainee pwp, qualified pwp, High Intensity pwp etc?

I do not have a 'core profession' rather just BSc, MSc in psychology and research experience but looking into CBT as a career as I want a more client facing role where I can use my interpersonal skills.

Any advice or experiences of other's journeys to become a fully trained BABCP accredited Cognitive Behavioral Therapist would much appreciated! :D
mungle

Re: Has anyone got onto a PG Dip CBT course via IAPT?

Post by mungle »

Yes, I've known of some people who have gone from PWP to trainee HI that included paid PGDip in CBT and then worked as a HI.
There is a process called "KSA" to demonstrate equivalency to a core profession from a minimum of 2 years as a qualified PWP - search this forum for that term and look at the BABCP website.

Generally, you would need at least one year as a trainee PWP and then two years a qualified PWP to be eligible for HI trainee posts, but it can take longer and there is no guarantee of these roles.