Applying for AP posts - which band?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Shooting_Star

Applying for AP posts - which band?

Post by Shooting_Star » Fri May 15, 2009 10:44 am

Hi all!

I graduated last year and since then I have been working as a support worker in LD, and also been doing some voluntary work as an AP 1 or 2 days a week with a private CP in the area. I feel that now I have enough experience to apply for an AP post. In scotland they seem to be pretty thin on the ground at the moment. The only ones that come up all seem to be band 5. However I thought that never having had an AP post in the NHS before, I should be applying for posts that are band 4?

So should I apply for the band 5 ones anyway? I know theres nothing to lose by applying, but it's just so time consuming and I don't really want to waste my time applying for something that I have no chance of even getting an interview for. Or should I just wait till some band 4 ones come up?

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Fri May 15, 2009 10:48 am

I would apply to the band 5 ones. There isn't any difference between the band 4 and 5 posts I have known of. Others might have different views. But I do know that in the Trust I work for, all AP jobs are band 4.

You definitely won't be wasting your time, unless the person spec stipulates previous experience as an AP.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 am

Just go for all of them! I know many people who have being appointed to a Band 5 without having done a Band 4 Assistant post, so it is possible.

Shooting_Star

Post by Shooting_Star » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I will apply then. Having never worked in the NHS before I wasn't sure if there was a difference between band 4 and 5 posts!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am

There is supposed to be a difference: band 5 posts are expected to require greater experience and autonomy. However, in practise the band is determined by trust policy and fixed funding more often than the skills balance, as most people who successfully secure an AP post have got quite a lot of experience under their belt already.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com