Joint honours question

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Parkleton

Joint honours question

Post by Parkleton »

I have been looking through clearing house as I am thinking about applying for the doctorate at some point in the next few years.

I noticed on Oxford's website they stipulate:

You must hold either:

A 1st class or 2:1 in an undergraduate psychology degree, or
An undergraduate degree in another subject, with a Masters level conversion course (merit or distinction).

We will not accept any other qualifications or class of degree different to these.

I have an undergraduate degree in Criminology and Psychology and a MSc in Forensic Psychology, both confer GBC and are BPS accredited. Does my joint honours undergrad (despite being accredited) mean I can't apply for Oxford/any other course that also has the same requirement?

Thanks in advance!
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Joint honours question

Post by Geishawife »

I think so long as you have GBC you should be OK, but you're probably better off e-mailing the course directly and checking with them. I wouldn't do it until application season is over as the course staff will be VERY busy at present. Come the Summer, when things settle, check directly with the courses you are interested in.
hawke

Post by hawke »

Check out Birmingham's joint clinical forensic doctorate, sounds like that would be right up your street
Hod8913

Post by Hod8913 »

I don't know specifics for each course but I've been offered a place at Liverpool this year and have had interviews with/offered selection tests with Plymouth, Manchester and Leicester and I have a joint Psychology with History BSc. If you're thinking of a specific course I'd reach out and ask the admin teams are always lovely in my experience but as Geishawife says maybe wait until the summer!
Parkleton

Post by Parkleton »

Thanks everyone for your replies, and you are absolutely right Geishawife I need to contact some courses a bit later in the Summer! Hod8913 congratulations on being offered a place! Thanks for sharing your experience - gives me some hope!

hawke - I've checked this out but unfortunately I can't afford the course and I'd rather not take out another loan. Just got to win the lottery haha
hawke

Post by hawke »

Parkleton wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:19 pm hawke - I've checked this out but unfortunately I can't afford the course and I'd rather not take out another loan. Just got to win the lottery haha
You can be sponsored to do the course! It's not as much as the ClinPsy pays, and I think it requires you to already have an AP job in a local forensic unit... but 2 of the 3 people in my year group were sponsored by their employer.