Dual honor undergraduate degrees question

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Mich96

Dual honor undergraduate degrees question

Post by Mich96 »

Hello,

Does anybody know if the courses consider both disciplines' modules for dual honor degrees?

E.g., I did psychology and philosophy. Would the courses look at just my psychology results across the final two years or would they take a weighted average across all modules, including the philosophy ones?
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Dual honor undergraduate degrees question

Post by Geishawife »

I think they will just take your overall grade (assuming your degree confers GBC), but I guess you'd need to check with the individual courses. All courses have slightly different entry criteria, so I'd just e-mail the courses you're interested in and check.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

I agree. Provided you have GBC, I'd assume they take your overall degree percentage. Whether some courses look at individual module scores or not I don't know. If they did, I'd assume it would be to check that you did a research project or thesis in psychology with a good enough grade to think doctoral study is possible.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
alexh

Post by alexh »

It would probably help to be clearer about the situation you are in. If you have a 2:1 overall and a 1st in your psychology then I would not be very concerned. Even if it is the reverse (1st phil, 2:1 psychol) then I wouldn't see a big issue although it might vary between course centres.

If it is that you have a 2:2 overall but a 2:1 in your psychology and consequently do not meet the minimum criteria for the course centres you wish to apply to,you might need to explain why you did less well in the other part and show that you have the skills to complete the doctorate. It would be something you might wish to discuss with the course centres to see if you have any chance of reaching interview. In the worst case you may need to demonstrate your academic ability by further study.

IIRC there was some research a few years ago showing that academic performance at A-Level and undergraduate degree was the best predictor of successful completion of the doctorate.
Our language is a necropolis of dead metaphors. Sarbin.
Mich96

Post by Mich96 »

alexh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:18 am It would probably help to be clearer about the situation you are in. If you have a 2:1 overall and a 1st in your psychology then I would not be very concerned. Even if it is the reverse (1st phil, 2:1 psychol) then I wouldn't see a big issue although it might vary between course centres.

If it is that you have a 2:2 overall but a 2:1 in your psychology and consequently do not meet the minimum criteria for the course centres you wish to apply to,you might need to explain why you did less well in the other part and show that you have the skills to complete the doctorate. It would be something you might wish to discuss with the course centres to see if you have any chance of reaching interview. In the worst case you may need to demonstrate your academic ability by further study.

IIRC there was some research a few years ago showing that academic performance at A-Level and undergraduate degree was the best predictor of successful completion of the doctorate.
Thanks for the replies.

I did substantially better in my third-year modules (70% average overall), but the following is a breakdown of my overall undergraduate score.

66.66/33.33 split for third and second year, respectively = 66%

50/50 split for second and third-year modules = 64%

10/30/60 split for first, second and third-year modules = 65%

50/50 split for just psych modules in second and third year (with a double-weighted thesis consideration) = 64%

50/50 split for just psych modules in second and third year (without a double-weighted thesis consideration) = 63%

33/66 split for just psych modules in second and third year = 66%

Forensic Psychology MSc was graded as a Merit (62% - quadruple weighted thesis brought my overall down a lot)

I guess I will leave the above up here in case others want an idea on how they can nearly exhaust the weighting criteria.
alexh

Post by alexh »

I'm not sure I understand all those breakdowns! :) Is it basically saying 2:1 overall, nearly a first in third year for the split degree and then a merit overall in your masters, but the thesis didn't go that well?
Our language is a necropolis of dead metaphors. Sarbin.
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Agreed, alexh! I am totally bamboozled by these figures and I'm not really sure how we can offer any further advice based on them. I would reiterate what I said before, the only way you'll be sure is to check with the individual courses you're interested in. You don't need to send them the details at this point, just ask them the same question you asked on this thread to begin with.
Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls »

I would assume it would be similar to a conversion masters in that some courses use the undergrad classification even if totally unrelated to psychology. In that situation I don’t know which weighting they would use because I can’t see the one that is your overall grade?
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

I don't understand why you've calculated it so many ways. The way your course calculate it is what matters. It looks like a 2:1 that isn't a high 2:1, and an MSc at 62%. That meets the minimum criteria for some courses but not others, so I'd avoid the courses that want a high 2:1 and perhaps focus on those with assessment days.
Miriam

Mich96

Post by Mich96 »

miriam wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 pm I don't understand why you've calculated it so many ways. The way your course calculate it is what matters. It looks like a 2:1 that isn't a high 2:1, and an MSc at 62%. That meets the minimum criteria for some courses but not others, so I'd avoid the courses that want a high 2:1 and perhaps focus on those with assessment days.
Fingers crossed some courses just take third year grades then 😂
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Mich96 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:57 am Fingers crossed some courses just take third year grades then 😂
You misunderstand me. The clinical doctorate courses don't calculate your percentage. They take it from the transcript, according to the university that awarded your degree. If your undergrad course say you got 63%, then to the clinical courses you apply to you got 63%.
Miriam

Mich96

Post by Mich96 »

miriam wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:50 pm
Mich96 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:57 am Fingers crossed some courses just take third year grades then 😂
You misunderstand me. The clinical doctorate courses don't calculate your percentage. They take it from the transcript, according to the university that awarded your degree. If your undergrad course say you got 63%, then to the clinical courses you apply to you got 63%.
I didn't misunderstand you. My university did not provide an overall percentage on my transcript, so I was hoping for some courses to look at my third-year results over anything else.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

It feels like you either don't understand or don't want to understand what I'm saying. But I'll say it again: As far as I am aware the clinical course shortlisters don't calculate your degree percentage in some way that has been predetermined by GTiCP or varies between shortlisters or courses. They get that from your university via your transcript. If the transcript doesn't give the percentage mark then - to the best of my knowledge - that doesn't make any difference, because the clinical courses will still know how your course calculated your degree grade (as there is probably info available for every course with GBC), or will contact your course to find out. If you want to know how it is calculated, I'd suggest you ask the university where you got your degree, as that is the thing that counts here.
Miriam

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

i very much doubt any course will only look at your 3rd year grade! What matters, as we have repeatedly said, is what your degree classification is and, if it's a 2:1, whether it's a high or a low 2:1. It makes no sense to look at grades from different years - they tell you nothing about the overall grade you ended up with. I hate to sound like a stuck record, but the ONLY way you will be certain if your degree is acceptable to the courses you are interested in is to ask the courses! I know this will sound horribly harsh and critical, and don't want to be seen as if I'm lecturing you, but in the time you have spent posting multiple workings out on here you could have e-mailed the relevant courses and received a definitive answer.