Relevant Experience Reference must be from current employer

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Bubbly

Relevant Experience Reference must be from current employer

Post by Bubbly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi,

I noticed that several uni's that do the clinical doctorate state that "Candidates should note that with the Clearing House application the Relevant Experience Reference MUST be from the current employer." Is this a new requirement??? Or did this exist in previous years??? I want to apply to Trent, however as my current line manager is not a Psychologist and does not know me well, I was going to use my reference from last year :(

Here is the list of uni's that require this:
Trent Universities
University of Bath
University of East Anglia
Newcastle University
- If you do not supply a reference from your current line manager we will seek an employment reference from your current line manager if you are invited to interview, in addition to references supplied via the Clearing House system.

katz

Re: Relevant Experience Reference must be from current emplo

Post by katz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi bubbly

I applied to trent this year and because I changed jobs between applying and interviews my manager changed. They still called me to request a current reference (and at fairly short notice). Because I had only just started the job they said they would still consider the earlier reference.

There's no way round it, you do have to give a reference from your current manager.

Hope that helps even of it's not what you want to hear. My suggestion would be to call the other courses if you are still unsure but I expect they will be the same.

Katz

sophie08

Post by sophie08 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Does anyone know if this is true even for universities that don't specify it? The course centres I will be applying for don't actually say that references need to be from current employers. I don't intend on using my current employer, partly because my current manager isn't as appropriate a referee than my previous manager, but also because I don't want them to know that I'm looking to leave! So I was planning on using my previous manager as a referee but am worried this might count against me?

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:15 am

I'm confused. I thought you just had to supply a clinical and academic reference?
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 am

sophie08 wrote:Does anyone know if this is true even for universities that don't specify it? The course centres I will be applying for don't actually say that references need to be from current employers. I don't intend on using my current employer, partly because my current manager isn't as appropriate a referee than my previous manager, but also because I don't want them to know that I'm looking to leave! So I was planning on using my previous manager as a referee but am worried this might count against me?
No, why would this be true for courses that don't say it is true? Gotta love application season paranoia!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

sophie08

Post by sophie08 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:40 am

Because they don't say that it's not! Gotta love everyone using the ol' "application season paranoia" chestnut for every question asked between the months of September and December! :roll:

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 am

I know, sorry about that! True though. There are no secret requirements! If we worried about everything the courses don't say they don't require we could all go completely mad! They also don't all say that you don't need have to engaged in voluntary work, or that you don't have to have Psychology at A Level, but you don't need those either! Each course will have slightly different minimum criteria and slightly different requirements. Some require you to provide your transcript, some don't, some require a minimum of a mid-high 2:1, some don't. If the requirements deviate from the norm, the course will make it clear. If they don't make it clear, it is not a requirement for that course.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

vicky_r

Post by vicky_r » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Hiya,

I applied to Newcastle this year and my main current (well now ex, as I am starting the course in two weeks!) employer was not one of my references on the form. This wasn't a problem though- they did ask me for their contact details when I was invited to interview though, but I think they only wanted to ask simple questions like number of absent days/sick days etc... Anyway, it didn't seem to be a problem!

Hope that helps?

Vicky

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:49 pm

I think the application form should say "current or most recent manager" then chosen referees for clinical and academic (allowing you to nominate the same person as the previous box if you wish) so that both types of information are gathered routinely. But at present only a couple of courses get that info.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 am

I applied to Trent last year and used a previous manager as I was no longer being supervised by a psychologist, similar to above I got a call that gave me a couple of days to get a reference from my current manager and send it to them, they said at the time it was to comply with the regulations of the appointing NHS trusts policies, so I got my non psychologist manager to do one, still got an interview so I wouldn't worry too much.

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Reassuring, thanks HayleyT!

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:08 am

I used a reference from a previous job (had only been in the new one for about 2-3 months by the time the form was due). This was 2 years ago though.

You could also get your current referee to comment on your previous reference if they are happy to. :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

noodle

Post by noodle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 am

Just to add that the Bath page does say that if your referee isn't ideal ie. Not your current supervisor, then you just need to explain why you've chosen them in the section for doing so. I'm also in two minds about who to use as I'm starting my new job in couple of weeks but I know that my current supervisor is best placed to comment on my abilities, clinicAl work etc. Decisions, decisions... :lol:

Elfie

Post by Elfie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 am

Hmm this might be a silly question but what are those who are currently in research roles doing? My current supervisor in my RA job is a clinical psychologist and so I thought I'd ask them to be my academic referee and my previous supervisor from my AP job to be my relevant experience one. But given that relevant experience includes research as well as clinical, maybe I should use my current RA supervisor as my relevant experience and my university tutor as the academic one. Only issue with this is that there won't be much comment on my clinical abilities from either reference, but my relevant experience reference would be from my current employer. Anyone else in a similar pickle? :?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Elfie wrote:Hmm this might be a silly question but what are those who are currently in research roles doing? My current supervisor in my RA job is a clinical psychologist and so I thought I'd ask them to be my academic referee and my previous supervisor from my AP job to be my relevant experience one. But given that relevant experience includes research as well as clinical, maybe I should use my current RA supervisor as my relevant experience and my university tutor as the academic one. Only issue with this is that there won't be much comment on my clinical abilities from either reference, but my relevant experience reference would be from my current employer. Anyone else in a similar pickle? :?
Some courses (Trent for one) want your academic reference to be someone who can comment on your formal academic performance, so someone from your most recent period of study at uni, be that undergrad/ masters/ PhD.