If you want me to read your application form...

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
miriam
Site Admin

If you want me to read your application form...

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 pm

for Clinical Training (or for job applications) then I am generally quite happy to do so, with certain provisos:

1) you must be an active member of this site (that is, you must have made posts, preferably offering advice or ideas as well as asking advice, because it is unfair to "take" from this community without "giving")

2) you must be robust enough to be willing to accept constructive criticism without feeling any suggestions are criticisms of you as a person (I know that sometimes my style is seen as quite blunt, so please don't be offended because if you can see past that I'd like to think that the message is generally helpful*).

If you want me to review your form, please request this as soon as possible (I can't read 20 forms in the last week). To request this you need to send me a PM and then I'll give you an email address to send the attachment to, and a rough timescale - please note that if I get too many requests I might not be able to respond to them all, or it may take longer to respond.

I suggest that if my advice is useful people might wish to donate to a charity that is meaningful to me. This was the little lives appeal from 2009 until 2012 because it was fundraising for the unit that looked after my premature twins, but now they have reached their goal I am supporting sistema scotland's big noise project: http://makeabignoise.org.uk/donate/

Please note that my advice is my personal opinion only, and is not given as expert opinion, or with any claim to represent the views of qualified psychologists or selecters. Its advice you can take or leave, and may conflict with other advice you are given. I generally try to comment on ways that a form can be "fine tuned" but I won't write the form for you, so my style is to point out any themes or ommissions, and sometimes to give examples. Please remember, you are the ultimate author of your form, and make the final decisions as to what feels authentic to you to put on the form.

* If anyone who's had me previously critique an application form is willing to post their feedback, I'd be happy to hear it, and it might guide other people!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Sugarspun Sister

Post by Sugarspun Sister » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi everyone - not posted on here for a while but saw this thread and wanted to reply. Although Miriam has never looked over a form for me, I have had feedback from her on a couple of occasions; once while preparing for a job interview (for an AP post, which I was offered). It sounds cheesy, but I really think I was successful at that interview because of the time Miriam gave me. I've since started clinical training, which I dont think I would have been offered a place on if not for this particluar AP job. If that makes sense?!

So cheers again Miriam :D

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Thanks, but I think you can keep your own credit for getting the job and onto training! I only helped you make some links between what you had already done and the client group of the post you were applying for, which you could have done in supervision. It was your personality and experience that got you the interview and impressed the panel. And congratulations on training. Which course are you on?
Miriam

steve79

Post by steve79 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I just wanted to comment that Miriam made some good comments on things that I hadnt spotted and it was a reassurance that my application is generally ok. She also got back to me very quickly, so other people may find Miriam's offer to read through their application very beneficial.

ste :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks Steve, that's kind of you to say (especially as I spot I spelt your name wrong!)
Miriam

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:06 am

steve79 wrote:I just wanted to comment that Miriam made some good comments on things that I hadnt spotted and it was a reassurance that my application is generally ok. She also got back to me very quickly, so other people may find Miriam's offer to read through their application very beneficial.

ste :)
I agree with Steve. It was very helpful and efficient! It helped me feel positive about my application too!
Psych_lad

dolly

Post by dolly » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Thank you for the offer Miriam its really kind of you
Never flaunt your good fortune and you will not look a fool if it should leave you - Marcus Aurelius

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 am

Let me bump this thread to remind people the conditions around my offer to review application forms, as I've had a flurry of requests from people who have just joined the forum and have never posted on here.

I can't offer to read forms for anyone and everyone as a public service - there are thousands of applicants for clinical training, and hundreds of members of this forum applying, and I've got many other competing demands for my time.

So, my offer is quite specific: I'm willing to review forms for people I know in real life and for active members of this forum.

If you have only just joined and want me to read your form, you need to think about how to contribute to the forum before asking for my time. Can you add anything to any of the wiki topics? Can you make a new wiki starter post? Can you offer advice or experience in the discussions? Can you write something for our newsletter Aspire? Do you have some ideas abot publicity?
Miriam

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 pm

There's a link on another Clinical Psychology forum directing people to this posting for advice, to my memory it doesn't mention the provisos but hopefully people will see them and take them on board

zaf

Post by zaf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 pm

Apologies, that would be me! Heres what I said:

"Good luck to both of you.

For those of you who do not already know, you can get a consultant psychologist from Clinpsy.org to check out your application form as when when she gets a chance. Visit viewtopic.php?t=1351

I did, and the feedback was very useful, especially as it will be my first time applying to the lees clearing house.

Good luck everyone"

I assumed most people on psyclick would also be using clinpsy, and so I assumed that people generally post on both sites. I apologise for any misunderstanding. I will make an addition to the thread on psyclick remind people of the conditions.
Passionate about kicking... Kicking my way to the top...

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Just a reminder of the conditions under which I am happy to read people's application forms.

Please note that the other admins/moderators may not be willing or have time to review applications and it is not acceptable to send the same request to several of us!
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:49 pm

If my advice is helpful, this year I am gently soliciting donations to the neonatal unit that looked after my premature twins. There is no obligation, but if you wish to donate you can do so here.
Miriam

chixta

Post by chixta » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Miriam,

I wondered if you or another qualified psych might consider looking through the additional information section of my application for a qualified post?

I have applied for a couple under my own steam but haven't (as yet) got any interviews, so it would be useful to get some feedback on my application. I know you work with children and I do intend to apply for some CAMHS posts, so it would be useful to get another opinion before I do so.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Sure thing. I'll send you a PM :)
Miriam

veryberry84

Application Rewiew

Post by veryberry84 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Miriam,

I am in the middle of my application for ClinPsych course for 2011 entry and I would love to hear your comments it! Its my first time applying so I am quite new about all of this and all criticism is welcome!

Many thanks
:D