Asking questions at interview...

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
rennyren63

Asking questions at interview...

Post by rennyren63 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:01 pm

How important do people think it is to ask questions, when given the opportunity, at the end of an interview? I always thought it was important to have a few questions up my sleeve to ask as I thought it showed interest. With AP posts I always have a list of questions but there is so much information online about the clinical courses I find myself thinking up questions that I already really know the answer too. Does it look bad if you don't have questions at the end of an interview?

noodle

Re: Asking questions at interview...

Post by noodle » Sun May 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi,

In my experience of DClin interviews, you don't really get an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the interview - this is usually because for most courses there are trainees around on the day to answer such questions and because you have a lot of time and information on courses to be able to make a decision if you are offered a place. So to answer your question - no, I don't think it would look bad if you didn't have any questions to ask in the actual interview! :)

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Sun May 06, 2012 10:31 pm

rennyren63 wrote: there is so much information online about the clinical courses I find myself thinking up questions that I already really know the answer too. Does it look bad if you don't have questions at the end of an interview?
I think it looks worse if you ask a question that you could easily have answered for yourself by researching the course. It's quite acceptable to say you have read all the course info/spoken to current trainees etc. and all your questions have been answered. If there's definitely nothing you want to know from them, I wouldn't worry about making stuff up!

keepcalm1985

Post by keepcalm1985 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 am

To add to this, some courses have been quite explicit (in my experience) in saying that they’re not interested in people asking questions just to make themselves look good/smart/original etc, and that you don’t get extra brownie points for asking anything! I'd say that unless you really have something important you'd like answering, and can't find the information anywhere else, then of course it's fine to ask, but if not then don't worry about it! :D
"A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist" Sigmund Freud

katz

Post by katz » Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am

Just to add n alternative perspective, I know from experience that some courses do like you to ask questions if offered. I think asking questions shows that you are interested in the course. I think that there are questions that you may want to ask course staff that you wouldnt ask students or that you may want to get a different perspective on.

I agree, asking pointless questions for the sake of it will not impress anyone but demonstrating a genuine interest in the course is important. It's an opportunity to have another minute to demonstrate this and in my opinion it would be daft to waste it!

rennyren63

Post by rennyren63 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 am

Some really interesting comments thank you! I only have one interview this year so I feel completely clued up about the course (they have an online e-handbook!) and the placements, as many of my friends have been there. I just didn't want my confidence to melt away at the end if they asked me if i had a question!

Thanks all :D

AlexLK

Post by AlexLK » Tue May 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Maybe an alternative scenario is being asked if there is anything you like to add to your answers or anything you feel they need to know about you as well as any questions you may have. I think saying something here might show reflective qualities....
When one door shuts another one opens, you just have to find it.

A multiple timer