New Clinical Doctorate Applications 2012-2013.

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
gelbpaint

Re: New Clinical Doctorate Applications 2012-2013.

Post by gelbpaint » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Hmm... I think that if I were in your position I would cut out the 'in this role I...' bits and just do clinical/research sections on the relevent experience part of the form. There are probably some things that you became more competent at through a variety of the roles you mention. I think they are looking for you to pick out the more salient bits that you feel have really helped you become a better clinician. You can mention that your confidence grew by delivering 'n' number of interventions and then specify if theres a particular experience you feel you can reflect on without mentioning which role you were in at that time, for example.

That's how I'd go about it if I had as much experience to reflect on as you do. Hope that helps a bit!

Gelb

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I think Bubbly is referring to the relevant experience (work history) section, not the statement about how their experience has made them a better candidate...?

Bubbly, I don't see why you need to omit any of the jobs- I imagine most applicants will have had a number of short term and voluntary posts and it does say 'list all relevant experience'. If you feel you must however, then definitely don't leave out any jobs you've had post-graduating as this would presumably leave gaps in your employment history. If the voluntary jobs you did during your undergrad don't add anything to the experience you've gained since (different client group/sector/setting?), then I guess these are the ones to leave out. But I would have thought the more the merrier in terms of experience!

gelbpaint

Post by gelbpaint » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 am

Ahhh I see! My bad, sorry! I agree with fledgling!

Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:58 am

It's ok gelbpaint :) Thanks fledgling! I've decided to put down all my jobs since graduating under relevant experience and put all my jobs whilst I had at uni (voluntary, but with different client groups and settings) in the other experience section. Right next step, Personal statement :shock:

kk82

Post by kk82 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:46 pm

This may be a stupid question but I just noticed that the guidance notes for the section "If you need to explain your relationship to your referees (see References section), or there are any other factors relevant in assessing your application please give brief details here" states that "If you are making a change in career and wish to give further details of the reasons for this please do so here."
When I left school I worked in Finance for a few years and obviously have to put those details down in the "Other experience" section. I think this time/change in direction is something I need to be reflecting on in my form as it is such a different area to work in and it was through experiencing this type of work environment, at this young age that made me realise that it was not for me. Long story short I ended up doing a psych degree and here I am (I can't tell you the number of times since I have looked back and thought "I should have stuck with the accountancy" when going through the many trials of the psychology world!!). I am totally motivated to get up and go to work every morning (well most mornings :lol: ) which was not how I felt back then.
Anyway my point is do you think I would get away with writing about this in this section ever though I am not "making a career change" as such, more explaining why I made a career change. I can put it in the personal experience section as it fits well in there but it just takes up a lot of word count that is not necessarily revelant to the last 12 months (it was 10ish years ago...scary when you think about it).

Any thoughts about this?
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without lack of enthusiasm"

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright it's not the end"

"Just keep swimming"

hs577

Post by hs577 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Well the actual question is : -

In what way have your work and/or research experiences made you a better candidate for training in clinical psychology?'

I see selectors as wanting to see your progression so if you see this as pivotal to your route into Psychology rather than finance I'd put it in the personal statement (if it's something you want to reflect on as although they suggest the last 12 months it does not limit you to this). However, if you want to explain in in the 'other experience section' which you can do then I'd see it as appropriate to do it in 'practical' rather than reflective terms i.e. a brief reason as to why you made the change as I could see that some selectors would get irked if someone used it as ‘an overspill for the personal statement’ – not saying that you would but I’d just say you’ve got to be careful). I’m in the same position of career change too from a while ago but from the education rather than finance sector so needed to make this consideration too.

Hope that helps a little.

OnACloud

Post by OnACloud » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi everyone!

This is my first year applying and I am finally getting some order to my ideas for the personal statement, but it is way over character limit and I don't feel I'll be saying anything particularly unique or outstanding so far! :? I have kind of started in the middle as I have no idea how to start the personal statements! Are we supposed to do a bit of an intro which feels like a waste of our valuable characters, or just go straight into - I've done this and learnt this etc etc?

I also was hoping for some advice on writing about my employment history. As part of my job, which is a 30 hour contract, I did an additional day for 9 months assisting speech and language, which brought my hours up to 37.5. Would I put this on as separate, even though it was with the same team? Or would I just write the job I have now and then explain in the main duties that I did a day temporarily with speech and language? I didn't want it to sound like I'm making out I've had 2 jobs, but didn't want it to get confusing with hours, what's temporary what's not etc, if it was on as one job. I'm sure this is probably not even important and I'm just getting myself bothered about it due to application anxiety, but advice would be appreciated! :mrgreen:

kk82

Post by kk82 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 am

I also was hoping for some advice on writing about my employment history. As part of my job, which is a 30 hour contract, I did an additional day for 9 months assisting speech and language, which brought my hours up to 37.5. Would I put this on as separate, even though it was with the same team? Or would I just write the job I have now and then explain in the main duties that I did a day temporarily with speech and language?
I think I would be tempted to put it on separately as 1) you were working with a different professional and 2) it means you have more space to talk about each specific role. I'm guessing you we're working more in a speech therapy assistant capacity one day a week which shows you can work within other disciplines etc. As far as i remember there is no limit to the number of posts you can add and they ask you for hours worked per week.

You could also maybe reflect on that experience in your personal Experience part- were you able to apply any psychological theory in that area, was the supervision experience different, or just reflecting on how that experience impacted on you. It is a really good insight into how other professions work plus being able to communicate effectively is so important across so many client populations.

Just a few suggestions as I'm no expert. The personal statement part is difficult particularly as you've so much you want to say and so little space. Just give it a go in your own style and see what comes out. The impression I get is showing what you have learned from your experience is more important than just listing what you've done. I will be spending the next few weeks writing, editing, reviewing, getting feedback, feeling sorry for myself cause I have to start all over again, rewriting mine. We can only hope it pays off. Not sure if that is particularly helpful.

Thanks for the advice HS577, that is helpful. I think I'll have a go at adding it to my work/research experience and see how it fits in. I had a bit of a break through driving home from work last night - I had a few ideas about what to say. I think it definitely helps to get started early to give plenty of time for those eureka moments. Or maybe that's just me! :)
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without lack of enthusiasm"

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright it's not the end"

"Just keep swimming"

missvanwilder

Post by missvanwilder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 am

Holly wrote:Hi everyone!

I also was hoping for some advice on writing about my employment history. As part of my job, which is a 30 hour contract, I did an additional day for 9 months assisting speech and language, which brought my hours up to 37.5. Would I put this on as separate, even though it was with the same team? Or would I just write the job I have now and then explain in the main duties that I did a day temporarily with speech and language? :mrgreen:
Hi Holly,

I had an assistant post in which I worked for 2 different services (18.75 hours a week each). I'm putting this on as 2 different roles as there isn't enough room to describe both in one tiny box. I think it will be obvious that it was a split full time post though as the time period and employer are the same.

Hope that helps

:) x

OnACloud

Post by OnACloud » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Thank you for the advice missvanwilder and kk82 :) it's really helpful to have other opinions. I will put it on as separate. I'm sure when I explain it will make sense to them! I have made myself just get on and write it and tried to be as reflective as possible, but I will be doing the same as kk82 and rewriting it over and over, and doing a lot of feeling sorry for myself! I told myself I was applying for experience this time and was not going to expect anything :| reminders of this to myself have not managed to stop me obsessing over the application though!

It's nice to come on here and see that 100's of other people are struggling too, as bad as that sounds! haha

Thanks again, Holly

ia123

Post by ia123 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm starting a new job in January, is there anywhere I would be able to put it on my application? Would prefer not to leave it out completely but can't see anywhere relevant to put it....

gsr491

Post by gsr491 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:16 pm

ia123 wrote:Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm starting a new job in January, is there anywhere I would be able to put it on my application? Would prefer not to leave it out completely but can't see anywhere relevant to put it....
I don't see how you can talk about this unless you mention it in other relevant experience... I imagine all you can really do is say something like; "I am due to start a new role as an .... in X service in January". Other than that, I don't see what else you could do.

Rainbow2

Post by Rainbow2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am

Im in the same boat. I have put it in the other info section in the form of. I have secured the post of X to begin.... I understand the role will involve X, Y and Z

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:47 am

Rainbow2 wrote:Im in the same boat. I have put it in the other info section in the form of. I have secured the post of X to begin.... I understand the role will involve X, Y and Z
I imagine that this would be the best place to put this on the form - outlining your start date and the role (might be worth contacting your upcoming supervisor and asking them what the last assistant did in the role/job expectations)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

BlueGems

Post by BlueGems » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of completing my first application too! Can someone help me please, when I download the form to check it, the question: "Briefly outline your understanding of the role of the clinical psychologist within mental health care systems in the UK. 1,500 character limit for this question" comes up but I can't seem to find it on the actual website to complete if you know what I mean? Where is the text box for this question so I can fill it out? thanks
"Fear less, and hope more; whine less, and breathe more; talk less, and listen more; and hate less, so you can love more" ~author unknown~