2013 App disaster

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Aiesha

2013 App disaster

Post by Aiesha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi all,
i just wanted to share my application disaster of 2013 as a means of therapy if nothing more! I made my first proper application in 2011...it went alot farther than i expected with me being selected for interview at Leicester and getting to number 1 on the reserve list. Although it was gutting to get this close and still be so far away from my career dreams being realised, it was affirmation that i could do it! I felt that finally i could believe in my ability to get there. It turned out that year that i was expecting my beautiful daughter and would have to have asked for a deferal anyway which may not have been accepted anyway.
In January 2012, my daughter was born (my 3rd child), but i also lost my mother in law which proved a very difficult time for me and my family. I sat 2 tests, one at Leicester and one at staffs but was not invited to interview. I know the process is completely random, but it was unlikely it would go well with a newborn, a bereavement and virtually no preparation time. This year was absolutely my year, i got some support writing my application to the best of my ability, i began to do some preparation immediately after being invited to selection tests and was determined more than ever to make it work. In late December my youngest got pneumonia and following a short spell in hospital came home only to be told it hadn't cleared. We have had no end of problems since then. My other two children have also seemed to catch every bug going over the last couple of months. Due to the ilnesses that have plagued my family and the circumstances that followed i was unable to sit the test i was invited to in Leicester and Staffs. I live in Birmingham however, so was pretty sure this would be my chance to shine. I had all my hopes for this year pinned on today. However, today was a disaster. I left the children with my mom and set off an hr earlier than necesary to look over my notes prior to the test. It was not to be, somehow i managed to miss the test. I couldn't find the building and was tring to sort some issues out at work (despite the fact i was on leave today). At 11.55am, on the other side of the unitversity i resigned myself to the fact this was not my year. I went back to my car and cried for 1/2 hour before realising it is not the end of the world!
Im not sure whether i will apply again next year because at 31, with 3 children and a desire to progress in my career, i feel i need to move on. I love psychogy, it really is where my heart is, but i feel there may be another avenue to pursue i will get the same fulfillment from.
Sharing this experience with you guys is really to help me put things into perspective. Ultimately, i don't think people that haven't been through the process can really appreciate the intensity of it when you're going through it, which for me means their words of comfort don't have the impact they are meant with. But just telling my story to you all has helped alot!
Thanks for listening and good luck to you all.
Hopefully this year will be yours ..... :D

BlueCat

Re: 2013 App disaster

Post by BlueCat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Crikey Aiesha, that's quite a catalogue of disasters! Really feel for you. Birmingham sounds like it would be your top choice, as you live there. I would strongly suggest you contact them and explain the situation, and see if they will allow you to sit the assessment on 25th with the last batch of candidates? No skin off their nose to add one chair I expect?

If it feels like it has all gone out of the window, though, please don't feel like it is all over. 31, 32, 33, 34 are all really common ages to start training, and in the scheme of things, what's another year? You have already achieved many goals in your life (3 beautiful kids, for example) so holding on for another year to achieve this goal perhaps needn't sting too badly? Plus if you do have to wait another year, it will give you more time with your young family without the stress of training on top.

Best of luck with whatever you decide x
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Hello Aiesha,

So sorry to hear all of that! On the plus side at least you know you're obviously a strong candidate and I'm sure would therefore be suited to the career. I haven't much else to say I'm afraid, however you now have a year to think about whether you wish to look at another option. In four years' time you could be a qualified psychologist, you just never know! I am sure you will find the drive to succeed in whatever avenue you choose though, best of luck to you!

Roxy xx

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm

You poor thing! What a horrible day! Sending you virtual hugs.

I would echo what Blue Cat has said about contacting the uni and seeing if there is anyway you can take the test at the next sitting. You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking. The worst they can say is "No" and, even if they do, you are no worse off than you currently are and they might just say "Yes"!

Please don't give up on your career hopes. Many people start training in their thirties and if you have to wait another year, in the grand scheme of things it's really not too big an issue. I know that must seem easy to say, and I'm not trying to undermine the importance of how you're feeling right now, but I very much doubt this year is your last chance. You're clearly very capable and have had to cope with quite a lot these past few months. But you have coped. Well enough to get your application for the clinical courses in this year - no mean feat in itself! (As an aside, anyone who can cope with 3 young children has my utmost admiration - 1 is challenge enough for me!!) So, do try to remind yourself of that from time-to-time and focus on your achievements.

People invest an awful lot both emotionally and in terms of time in getting on a clinical course, so I do understand that it's hugely frustrating/upsetting/etc when it seems to come to nothing. But missing out today is really not the end of the world. You still have plenty of time to achieve your dreams.

bicycleclips

Post by bicycleclips » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey Aisha

Just wanted to add another vote to the 'don't give up' pile: you've clearly got what it takes, it's just that life has got in the way recently! I'm applying at the geriatric age of 35, with two kids and no clear Plan B, and though I wish I'd applied when I was 25, I also recognise what life skills I've got from raising children and going through the wars a bit, as it sounds like you have. Take practical advice (i.e. contact the university) and take a long hot bath with aromatherapy, wine etc, whatever works. Good luck :)
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Sending lots of virtual hugs your way!! I echo what everyone has said on here, do not give up!
I am a strong believer in the saying "everything happens for a reason" - and maybe this year will not be your year, but all these events will make you a stronger and better person, and your time will come!!

Peach

Post by Peach » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Aiesha, I'm really sorry to hear about the tough time you've had. I echo what other people have mentioned about contacting Birmingham to see if you could sit the test next week, you've got nothing to lose. I noticed that you only mentioned 3 universities that you've missed out on this year, did you only apply to three or is there a fourth course that you are waiting to hear back from? If so, then don't completely give up hope until you get the final results.

Only you know whether continuing with clinical psychology is something you want to do but you've come so far so don't let your age be a deterrent, trainee CP's come in all different moulds. I wish you the best of luck with whatever comes next for you.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

melsuett

Post by melsuett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm

I really hate how clinical psychology does that to you!!

I am really so motivated to progress with my career in the field and I know 100% I could be good at it. But the way the process is designed, it just doesn't give you a fighting chance sometimes. So you could be left with absolutely nothing after 4-7 years of university which set you back thousands of pounds.
And don't even get me started on all the anxiety and stress the whole process provokes!!!

I talked to my supervisor about this and he said he knows (he is head of the department at my uni) and sort of agrees and they are thinking of changing the system to something like in medicine. where you get in once but then you know you are in if you do your work. I really hope they change the system. It is ridiculous as it is.

I would have been the same, in the car, crying my heart out!

FondantFancies

Post by FondantFancies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Definitely don't give up! Take what this process throws at you and throw it back harder, next year! You sound like you're a good candidate with life experience and it would be a shame, if the DClinPsy is what you've been aiming for, to put an end to it. Think of the process as a test of endurance... Those tested to their limits will be the best clinical psychologists in the long run! :D

That said, my dad always told me to do what makes you happy... and I still think that's the best advice :)

danielllelauren

Post by danielllelauren » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 pm

hey defo dont give up, I think you are an inspiration to other working mothers out there and are testament to the fact that having a career in psychology in possible, including myself as im a mum to a 2 and a half year old. I too will be 31 when i will apply to the dclinpsy, keep going and dont give up on something you seem so passionate about x

blue86

Post by blue86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello Aiesha,

I hope that you have considered all of the good suggestions that other forum members have provided. Since the test is the same for all sittings, I am crossing my fingers that they will be understanding and help you with your situation.

Also, I just wanted to say that I admire you for all your courage and hard work to get up to here. Your children are very lucky to have such an ambitious and awesome mother :) And as someone else said, you did in fact accomplish many of the things other younger ladies in clinical psych want for their future. I guess you can just say that we're all doing the same thing, only in slightly different order on our own timelines. Lots of hugs!!

Aiesha

Post by Aiesha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi all,
I haven't been on here for a while as things have been really manic and just got a lovely surprise seeing all your lovely responses and words of encouragement. It has done wonders for my motivation and self confidence. i guess i was feeling a little subdued by the whole experience, but i've got a renewed enthusiasm for the journey and am feeling very positive now. So thank you all.
I noticed it was picked up i only mentioned 3 universities, it is true i had applied to a 4th but had rightly assumed i would not recieve an interview which was indeed the case. i applied to Coventry and Warwick but i have looked at the criteria, which is a points system and i was unlikely to rank high on their list but as it is close in proximity to where i live it was worth the attempt.
The greeat news is, i contacted Birmingham university and they invited me to sit the test on Monday the 25th, which i did :D I was absolutely thrilled to have been given that opportunity and although i found the test difficult and performed poorly, i am so happy that i got the opportunity and can use it as learning and something to focus on for improvement next year. And yes, there will be a next year. You have all inspired me and reminded me of why i want to do this and that without lifes difficulties, we wouldn't be the well rounded, strong, resilient individuals we become by the end of that long and winding road that is life! Thank you again all. All the best for your appliocations and i hope you too acheive your dreams :D

Peach

Post by Peach » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm really happy to hear you managed to sort things out with Birmingham and that you're thinking of applying to clinical again. I wish you the best of luck with getting an interview at Birmingham this year and all the best with your application for next year if things don't work out. :D
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm so glad you took the bull by the horns and contacted the university. Whatever the outcome, you can be proud of the way you picked yourself up and moved forward. Best of luck with your applications.

blan09

Post by blan09 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:21 am

Hello Aisha

don't give up! You are young and you have achieved so much already. Please try not to compare yourself negatively with others just because you feel older or different because of your life experience. If DClinPsy is the right career path for you, keep fighting and don't give up.

Reading posts on this thread, it is lovely and encouraging to hear so many kind words, but may I just mention, that sometime words can hurt as well, as Bicyclecclips comment about "geriatric age of 35"... I am applying for second time to DClinPsy and I will be 43 in few months time and have one child with disability. And I trust there are many more readers, applicants for the training who are over 40... I am working hard on not comparing myself with others (not easy of course) and be proud of my grey hair :) and my life experience... We are all very different and there is a great value in our diversity ....

Best wishes!

bicycleclips wrote:Hey Aisha

Just wanted to add another vote to the 'don't give up' pile: you've clearly got what it takes, it's just that life has got in the way recently! I'm applying at the geriatric age of 35, with two kids and no clear Plan B, and though I wish I'd applied when I was 25, I also recognise what life skills I've got from raising children and going through the wars a bit, as it sounds like you have. Take practical advice (i.e. contact the university) and take a long hot bath with aromatherapy, wine etc, whatever works. Good luck :)