Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
astra

Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Post by astra » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I just found a list of thoughts and reflections I made whilst shortlisting for a course earlier this year. I don't know how helpful it is but some of my comments amused me when I read them back! take a look. . .
Qualifications
I don’t understand Irish or other foreign qualifications, some comment about equivalence would be a help so I can compare.
If there’s mention of a PhD in your reflective section but not in your courses or qualifications, I’m confused.
If your PhD or MSc won’t be finished you won’t be able to start this course.
I really wouldn’t list your O levels from the 1980s, especially not if they are in art and drama and are of spectacularly average grades. In fact nothing less than an A level please.
This year I saw lots of 2:1s, very few firsts, lots of incomplete Masters and very few PhDs. Quite underwhelmed really.
Hmm! You say you’re doing CAT but I don’t see any mention of you having trained in it
Publications
This space is not an extension of your personal statement.
Please list publications here.
Being told you should really write up your undergrad dissertation isn’t, in and of itself, a publication, in any way, shape or form.
Experience
Bar tender is not a relevant experience post.
Oh dear, no. 33 how did you even get to the shortlisting pile you have almost no relevant experience.
Good lord do people really work 90 hour weeks in voluntary roles??? Oh I see it was a one week residential camp. . . Phew!
Whilst working in a war zone you were able to “bridge cultural gaps”? I’m not taking you on this course I’m sending you straight to the UN!!
Your undergrad dissertation from an unrelated degree 20 years ago is not a relevant experience post.
Arrogance?
Saying “I’m trying really hard to get an AP post so I’ll have tons of experience by the time the course starts” simply won’t cut it.
Saying “[Blah, blah, blah] experience has equipped me with all the essential skills and experience for Clinical Psychology” doesn’t convince me! Show me how!
I, as the shortlister, will decide if your experience has fully or categorically, or undeniably equipped you or made you a better candidate.
I probably don’t actually know your supervisor, so dropping their name repeatedly as if I should know them is a waste of characters – use them for something more impressive.
Language
If you haven’t mentioned “Firstly” or “Secondly” in the preceding paragraph, it’s a bit odd to start the next paragraph with “Thirdly. . .”
You were a cocoordinator? Chocolatey! MMMM!
I don’t believe empathetic is a word – empathic or sympathetic. Others appear to disagree.
Oh dear, you ran out of characters in the middle of a word and just left it! That’ll be a NO then!
Is “resultantly” even a word?
You collected and “surmised” data?
To many candidates I silently screamed “Proof read your form you numpty!”
To what might you be referring to?
OMG! WTF! How many acronyms in one sentence! I have no idea what you are talking about No. 21.
I don’t have time to work out what all these acronyms are – CRT for Schizophrenia? SFL tutor? Help!
If you worked for the ABC Organisation, or the XYZ Charity, you might want to give me a clue as to what that is otherwise you might as well have worked at Asda for all I know. I don’t have a comprehensive knowledge of every organisation that ever existed.
Reflective ability
Starting your personal statement with “On reflection. . .” doesn’t automatically make it reflective.
Don’t use over half your personal statement to tell me about your undergrad modules and what you did your dissertation on. That just tells me you don’t have any relevant experience to talk about. And while we’re on it – I really couldn’t give a monkey’s what stats you used – if you passed I’m assuming you used a valid methodology and were appropriately supervised, and that’s enough for me to know.
Do you even know what you’re applying for?
If you want to "diagnose and treat mental illnesses" you might want to look at other careers in the field.
Hmm! No. 33, I don’t know how you got this far, you don’t know what the job even is, do you?
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Alex

Re: Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Post by Alex » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I am horrified at this! Surely there is some national black listing for clinical courses?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Poor Number 33!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Lol scarily similar to my feelings re:2012. PROOF-READ YOUR FORM, NUMPTY being key. This is a very serious application for a highly competitive professional training course, and one of the key skills is good communication skills. If you cannot even write properly on the application form, it doesn't bode well. The application form is no place for your sub-standard grammar and spelling - would of, should of, could of, or any one of the weirdly constructed words do not fill me with confidence.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:39 pm

May also be a good time to bring up the thread about short-listing last year.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13416&p=114230&hilit=yates#p114230

I wonder though, whether obvious howlers in the pile makes the process of short-listing easier or not. It definitely makes it more painful.
I am horrified at this! Surely there is some national black listing for clinical courses?
Nope, I guess there is some kind of tacit understanding that people have the potential to develop and change across the years. Also if such a list existed, it would probably be longer to check through rather than screen them manually in the first place.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Is it bad that I almost enjoy bad applications when they use made up words, make loads of errors or claim to be an expert/consultant. There is something satisfying about having such a clear flag to say you can put someone in the no pile when you are faced with a huge heap of applications.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

astra

Post by astra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 am

lakeland wrote:Poor Number 33!
:lol:
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Valentina86

Post by Valentina86 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 am

I didn't use it in my form but empathetic is a word.

Valentina86

Post by Valentina86 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am

Whilst I'm thinking about it, resultantly is also a word.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:31 pm

It's really important that the message of this thread is not to get applicants hung up on the use of individual words. Without the context that the words are placed within it's hard to get an idea of how it all comes across.

Obviously, spelling and punctuation need to be perfect in all job applications, and anything that helps the reader go through your form is welcomed, but don't get paralysed by any of the advice. Shortlisters, having been on the other end of this, do realise that each form represents a real person on the other end with hopes and aspirations, and I hope that comes across in my post.

Personally, I do my best to remain sympathetic and appreciate the difficulty of the task applicants are faced with, so am not expecting perfection. It's more about observing the way that some applicants are able to do their experiences justice, while others often struggle to do so that is so interesting.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

astra

Post by astra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Absolutely Spatch, and I think as individuals we all have our little grammatical bug-bears but I would never reject a form solely on the basis of using a word I don't like or think should be spelled differently. It's always a combination of factors and each form is viewed by 3 different people in the shortlisting process I'm involved in so one person disliking a particular word or grammatical style would never be the end anyway. But, if you want to impress, get your form checked for these little irritants and the rest of your skills and experience will shine through far more brightly.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I imagine that you could play catchphrase bingo too right? Keeping an eye out for the 'yoga', 'travelling' and 'star trek' combo.

I'm pretty sure someone must have done it.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Sorry Randall, that's so 2011. It was 'orphanage-building, bungee-jumping, and occidentalist theology' last year. :lol:

(Completely kidding, I have less than nothing to do with shortlisting)
Fail, fail again, fail better.

astra

Post by astra » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 am

But surprisingly close to the mark there WM :wink: (although I have no idea what ocidentalist theology is).

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

On reflection.... ( :)) I have absolutely no idea how I got interviews this year. I think I was free of all grammatical/spelling errors though!

I can pretty safely assume I wouldn't have if I'd applied to the place Astra shortlists. It's given me some stuff to think about for this year's applications though.