Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
blue86

Re: Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Post by blue86 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm

alexh wrote:I wonder if it was a mistake to say I make kitchen knives. should've played safe maybe.
That actually sounds quite cool! :D I am not sure why you think it was a mistake to put it on the form. Isn't that the whole point for that section, to give the reader a sense of who you are as a person? And you have a pretty unique hobby. I think it shouldn't hurt, but actually make you more memorable. So I hope you aren't feeling bad for being honest and writing that down.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:36 pm

alexh wrote:I wonder if it was a mistake to say I make kitchen knives. should've played safe maybe.
It be could be interpreted as a thinly veiled threat to the selector! MIght just work ;) :lol:

playdough

Post by playdough » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am

I (and I'm sure lots of others) would love to hear from any of the other members who are involved in shortlisting about their experiences this year! It's so interesting hearing about what it's like from the other side :)

blue86

Post by blue86 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:13 pm

astra wrote:
By the way, I saw nothing as interesting as "makes kitchen knives" this year! I wouldn't have felt threatened by that alone, whereas "making and using kitchen knives for a variety of purposes" might have got me a bit twitchy!
I just got the funniest image of you with a pile of forms in front of you, reading that, and then your right eye starts twitching, cartoon-style :)) Who knew shortlisting would be so hazardous for your health? :D
By the way, Astra, how's shortlisting going so far? Middle of March is closing in fast :shock:

amadea

Post by amadea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm

astra wrote: If you want to "diagnose and treat mental illnesses" you might want to look at other careers in the field.
Hmm! No. 33, I don’t know how you got this far, you don’t know what the job even is, do you?
Dear Astra, I find your threats really helpful, however, I smell some arrogance, that of who has been granted the expert certification. I dont agree with the statement quoted and I feel directly pointed by it. As part of my application I wrote that I expected to learn and develop the skills not just to be able to diagnose mental health related issues but to also develop my intervention skills according to the most effective and up to date approaches.

To say that '' I dont know what the job even is'' is very condescending and patronising. with all the respect you deserve. I want to become a CP i havent been doing the job for years and cannot speak about the daily elements involved in the Job. But Isn't it to assess, diagnosed and treat mental health issues the main characteristic of a CP?

I guess I will not get any interview if all short-Listers, Judge me as ignorant for saying I want to be able to assess, diagnose and treat mental health disorders.

Once more, thanks a lot for your reflections, I will take them into account for next years applications and will keep in mind your suggestions.

amadea

Post by amadea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I dont want to be a whining applicant. But how do you guys expect us to say what A, B or C charity or organisation we worked for is about, if the word limit is restricting us?

blue86

Post by blue86 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 pm

amadea wrote:
astra wrote: If you want to "diagnose and treat mental illnesses" you might want to look at other careers in the field.
Hmm! No. 33, I don’t know how you got this far, you don’t know what the job even is, do you?
Dear Astra, I find your threats really helpful,
I know this is just a typo, but it could be such an awesome Freudian-slip considering the rest of your post :)
Amadea, sorry to hear you felt distressed by some of Astra's suggestions but I think maybe some of them were taken a bit out of context. I think that Astra might come off as very direct and to the point, but I've personally always appreciated her advice. To be honest, when I first came to this forum I was a bit intimated by her (maybe I still am a little ;) )
But if you follow her posts you can clearly see how supportive she has been to other forum members and how much time she has dedicated on here.

I'm not trying to say that you are wrong in any way, just that to remember that she is only one selector on one course.
I can really empathise with feeling a little distressed and concerned when I think that I've made similar mistakes on my past applications and that other selectors have made similar remarks. But we keep learning and moving on. As you probably know, being a CP means being a lifelong learner.
I think it's great you're taking the time to improve and reflect on your form. Who knows, maybe you won't have to apply again.

Regarding your work institution description - this is a tough one. I think you only describe your duties among all previous positions, and maybe describe in that space or your statement the organization that you felt was the most important, or not as known. I would only describe an organization if I felt was relevant. A reader is more interested in what you did there, and if you get an interview you'll get the chance to elaborate then. Lack of characters is something that really bugged me about the form, but oh well, we're all in the same place :)

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Amadea,

I'm a first time applicant too and I can understand how it would be upsetting if you felt that astra's comments were 'making fun' of things that you have written in your form, but I also think its important to remember that the comments on this forum are a great resource for applicants too! It can be hard to see it that way when you feel a bit hurt, but I think the best thing to do would be to try and take a curious approach to astra's comments and try and learn something from them. For example, you were asking if CP is about diagnosing and treating mental health problems. In my opinion (and as I said I am not a trainee or qualified), diagnosis and treatment makes me think of psychiatry and the medical model in which clients are patients who have illnesses that need to be fixed. For me, CP is about working together collaboratively and considering the difficulties psychologically and in the social and developmental context of the client's life, rather than merely identifying symptoms, giving out a label and 'curing' them as you do in medicine. I can understand your confusion though as CPs do screen for particular disorders such as depression or OCD etc and best practice guidelines are centred around particular diagnoses, but for me developing psychological formulations and agreeing treatment goals with the client are more useful ways of thinking about the work of CP.

Hope that helps in some way :)

amadea

Post by amadea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 pm

blue86 wrote: I know this is just a typo, but it could be such an awesome Freudian-slip considering the rest of your post :)
Amadea, sorry to hear you felt distressed by some of Astra's suggestions but I think maybe some of them were taken a bit out of context. I think that Astra might come off as very direct and to the point, but I've personally always appreciated her advice. To be honest, when I first came to this forum I was a bit intimated by her (maybe I still am a little ;) )
But if you follow her posts you can clearly see how supportive she has been to other forum members and how much time she has dedicated on here.
I thought that astra was a Man, lol. Anyway I am in no way dismissing how helpful she has been. However there is a big difference between being direct, straight to the point and being 'arrogant'. Maybe I over interpret the narrative style she uses. Being thankful for her suggestions and to tell her how her remarks are read are not two mutually exclusive activities. I agree with you in all you say, however I still feel her language style in the post is condescending and patronising.

amadea

Post by amadea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

ClaireEmma89 wrote:Hi Amadea,

I'm a first time applicant too.........

Hope that helps in some way :)
Thanks, I agree. However I never mentioned anything about 'curing' people. Dont take my comments out of context please :wink:

Everyone should also read this and see where I am coming from.

viewforum.php?f=19

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks, I agree. However I never mentioned anything about 'curing' people. Dont take my comments out of context please :wink:
I wasn't at all saying that you see your role as curing people, I put 'curing' to signify that it is not a phrase I use or one that I am comfortable with, not to imply that you used that word. I was just offering some thoughts on the connotations of what you said about clinical psychology as the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders and why astra may have mentioned those sorts of comments in her reflections on shortlisting. I'm not taking your comments out of context, I was just drawing your attention to the wider implications of what you said about diagnosis as you seemed genuinely confused about astra's comments. You seem to have interpreted my post as being critical of you but actually I was trying to help you.

amadea

Post by amadea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

ClaireEmma89 wrote: ........you seemed genuinely confused about astra's comments. You seem to have interpreted my post as being critical of you but actually I was trying to help you.
Being critical is ok, nothing wrong with that :wink: being helpful is even better :wink:

Do you see that yellow flower in your avatar. well most of the time I feel like that yellow flower surrounded by red flowers everywhere (hypothetically speaking ). Maybe I should be a lurker lol .

Last thoughts before moving on:
- Astra is not a child, she is a professional. she doesnt need anyone here to justify why she said this or that. I think she must be laughing right now and she knows what I mean.

- I am not genuinely confused (that sounds a bit condescending from you) maybe I am just utterly confused, yet I dont think I am, I will find out soon. still got lots of experience to get.

- maybe Clinical Psychology is not for me as I might be wrong about what a Cp does. This is something that I will discover too. All is possible :)

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm very suprised Amadea that you read my post as defending Astra or being condescending towards you. You asked "isn't it to assess, diagnosed and treat mental health issues the main characteristic of a CP?" and I gave you my own personal view on that question whilst acknowledging that I am not qualified either and its just my opinion. I apologise if you felt patronised by my reply, but I thought that you were genuinely unsure about why phrases such as the 'diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders' may not be well-received by some selectors and I just wanted to offer something that may help. Best of luck with the process and I don't see any need to become a lurker! The whole point of the forum is to exchange ideas and learn from each other :)

ShutterIsland

Post by ShutterIsland » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

I enjoy reading what astra writes. It's really nice to hear what is going on, on the other side.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 pm

amadea wrote:
Dear Astra, I find your threats really helpful, however, I smell some arrogance, that of who has been granted the expert certification. I dont agree with the statement quoted and I feel directly pointed by it. As part of my application I wrote that I expected to learn and develop the skills not just to be able to diagnose mental health related issues but to also develop my intervention skills according to the most effective and up to date approaches.

To say that '' I dont know what the job even is'' is very condescending and patronising. with all the respect you deserve. I want to become a CP i havent been doing the job for years and cannot speak about the daily elements involved in the Job. But Isn't it to assess, diagnosed and treat mental health issues the main characteristic of a CP?

I guess I will not get any interview if all short-Listers, Judge me as ignorant for saying I want to be able to assess, diagnose and treat mental health disorders.

Once more, thanks a lot for your reflections, I will take them into account for next years applications and will keep in mind your suggestions.
CP tend to formulate not diagnose. CP do not tend to talking about 'mental illness' as it suggests a biological disease model. CP are about coming to a psychological understanding of people's problems. As Claire said the statement is too medical model. If I were shortlisting it would be off putting but it would also depend on the context of the rest of form.