Edinburgh interview short-listing process

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
AnsweringBell

Re: Edinburgh interview short-listing process

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Johanna89 wrote:Hello

Just wondering if anyone has received the research paper yet that we are supposed to prepare in advancd for Edinburgh interview?? I received a further letter giving me times for different interview components but no paper!

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Johanna
Nope, I havent Johanna! I was worried that something had just been missed out from the pack so I emailed Rosie, and she said it hadn't been sent yet. So I guess we're still just hanging in there and waiting for a little while longer. Last year it all came in 1 big wadge in March so this is a bit different.

Midnight33

Post by Midnight33 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Can anybody give an idea of how to prepare for the written task? Would stats, synthesising information and ethics cover it?

moony

Post by moony » Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm really not sure what to expect from the written section! If anyone could shed some light that would be much appreciated! Nerves are finally starting to kick in.

What do you think the chances are of a question about the future of the NHS in a (possibly) independent Scotland popping up? I feel like I might need to swot up on independence issues!

I'm interviewing on the 20th. Looking forward to meeting some of you there. :)
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Post by newbie » Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 am

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for the role play task? I have never done one before and have no idea what to expect!

Miffyfoofoo

Post by Miffyfoofoo » Sun May 18, 2014 12:49 am

Is there still a research paper? Because I haven't got one so slightly worried.

moony

Post by moony » Sun May 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi miffyfoofoo,

You should have got an email a while back that said the pre-prepared paper part of the interview process was no longer happening. So no need to worry!

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Nephthys

Post by Nephthys » Sun May 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Not sure if this means anything, but the future of Scotland with the possibility of independence hasn't been raised in our professional issues teaching at all. I'd imagine if they don't expect soon-to-be-qualified trainees to know the ins and outs of the issue, they probably won't expect prospective trainees to know it all. TBH, I'm not sure anyone really knows what independence would mean for the NHS so it may not be that relevant to speculate about it in the interviews - perhaps it'll be a question for next year ;)

Miffyfoofoo

Post by Miffyfoofoo » Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm

moony wrote:Hi miffyfoofoo,

You should have got an email a while back that said the pre-prepared paper part of the interview process was no longer happening. So no need to worry!

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!!
Moony, thank you thank you thank you!

moony

Post by moony » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Anyone care to put my mind at ease... How scary / intimidating / fun and wonderful was the interview process today?

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 am

moony wrote:Anyone care to put my mind at ease... How scary / intimidating / fun and wonderful was the interview process today?
Hi Moony - I found the interview harder than the Glasgow one and there were a couple of questions that threw me (one in particular that I told them I couldn't answer, but tried to anyway). How did you find it?

Post by newbie » Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Overall, I was happy with the clinical interview, role play and written task. Really struggled with the academic/research interview, however. Was not prepared for any of those questions and was surprised by the lack of personal questions re. my own research. Really put a cloud over the whole experience for me ..

davebarker

Post by davebarker » Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 pm

I agree with above comments. Clinical panel, role play and written task were all fine. Academic panel was horrible. Quite difficult questions. The way they were worded seemed quite strange to me. Hardest questions so far and I have had three other interviews to compare it to!

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Hah this is NOT making me feel great about my interview tomorrow!

At least it'll be over soon enough.

davebarker

Post by davebarker » Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

AnsweringBell wrote:Hah this is NOT making me feel great about my interview tomorrow!

At least it'll be over soon enough.
It should be noted AnsweringBell that the people on the panels were lovely. They weren't an issue, it was more the questions. I'm sure you will be fine, best of luck :D

moony

Post by moony » Wed May 21, 2014 10:40 am

I agree with what other folk have been saying. The academic interview was awful. No emotion at all from the panel. Was slightly scary and really hard to gauge how I was doing in terms of answering the questions properly. By comparison the clinical was fine, the role play was much less intimidating than I expected, and the written task wasn't too bad!

Genuinely not a clue how I did. Best of luck to you all. Here's to the next week or so of waiting for the postie. :p