The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
gelbpaint

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Post by gelbpaint » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Congratulations Bell! Looks like our reserve list dreams came true ha ha :D

Sprinkles

Post by Sprinkles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Hey folks,
Has anyone declined and offer at Glasgow? Not getting any info about their reserve list :-/
thanks!

memifer

Post by memifer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Final update from my first but by no means last trip on the roller coaster that is the DClinPsy application process:
Liverpool
Lancaster
Manchester

Bangor-->Bangor-->Bangor

Feeling oddly relieved about not getting on this time around, although already contemplating 'the form' for next year! :twisted:

Well done to all who have been successful this year and I wish you all well for the next chapter.
Commiserations to those who have not had a 'yes' this year...I'll probably see a lot of you on this thread again next year!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:12 pm

As the final blues roll in congratulations :)

For those who weren't successful this year commiserations I am sure I'll see some if you next year on this thread!

LouLouH

Post by LouLouH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:10 pm

AnsweringBell wrote:Thank you guys so much :-D It's been a very, very tense 10 (!!!) weeks waiting on this, and I really didn't think 6th reserve would come good for me.

I've accepted my UEA offer, and hopefully a Edinburgh reserve will get a happy surprise today :)
Congratulations!!!! I look forward to meeting you in October :D

Jalizabeth

Post by Jalizabeth » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:00 pm

LouLouH wrote:
Jalizabeth wrote:
LouLouH wrote:I've been looking at this forum for a while now and all of the kind messages have helped me a lot through this anxiety provoking process!!

Thought I would post my progress so far.....(sorry can't do colours!)

2012/2013 application
Interview at UEA ---> unsuccessful
No interview at Herts

2013 / 2014 application
Interview at UEA ---> Reserve place No 4 ---> offered place on Friday
Interview at Herts ---> unsuccessful

Obviously I am over the moon at getting a place at UEA and my fingers are firmly crossed for those people still waiting

Congratulations LouLouH. What base did you get? Looking forward to meeting you when we start the course in September! Eeek! :D
Thank you!! I found out today my base is Kings Lynn. How about you? Look forward to meeting you also :)
Hi LouLou my base is Bury St Edmunds. All still very surreal!

aspiringpsych

The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Post by aspiringpsych » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 pm

It's strangely nice to hear from others who have also been unsuccessful about seeing each other on this thread next year! And memifer I can relate to the feeling of being relieved in a way.. it's a massive learning curve :)

graduateak

Post by graduateak » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

After getting no interviews this year I thought I would post PhD at Sheffield :D

I had previously not thought about doing a PhD as I had always planned on doing the Docterate but after getting no's from all centres I stumbled accross a PhD in an area that fits both my interests and experience ideally. Maybe I'll be back on this thread in 4 years or maybe I will be happy doing something a bit different. But congratulations to all those with Blues and good luck to all those who will be back here even stronger next year.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein.

Hozc

Post by Hozc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi graduateak. I wasn't sure whether to post on here as well as I had no luck with getting on the doctrate. However, I have recently accepted a PhD to start in September. I have applied for clinical for 4 years. Last year I sat the lancaster exam but did not get an interview, and also had a cardiff interview which I was unsuccessful. This year I had an interview at Hertfordshire which was unsuccessful and an interview at Cardiff which I turned down as I was offered the PhD.
For me, I always had it in my mind that after undergrad, it was do a MSc, get clinical experience (which i haave had AP, 2 RA, support worker, PWP, peer reviewer etc) then move on to the DClinPsy. It was only after I was put forward for this PhD that I realised that things aerent as black and white, and what I thought was the only direction for me was not true. Of course I love clinical and always will, but there are many many more options out there for us when wanting to work with mental health.
I just want to say well done to everybody whether you had an interview, offered a place or was unsuccessful.
My words of advice are to keep your options open. We can so easily get stuck and become blindsighted to something that we wanted for so long that we become oblivious to other paths that can lead us to the same goal.

blue86

Post by blue86 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:02 pm

graduateak wrote:After getting no interviews this year I thought I would post PhD at Sheffield :D
Hey that's pretty awesome! Congratulations Hozc and graduateak! :cheers:
I think this probably deserves its own topic. It's great that you'll be starting your own journeys this fall. Who knows where they might lead? It's still quite an achievement. Although I won't envy all of the work you have ahead of you ;)
Congrats again and I hope you'll enjoy yourselves this summer!

Ella

Post by Ella » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Congratulations to all the blues and those going on to do PhDs!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Hozc wrote: My words of advice are to keep your options open. We can so easily get stuck and become blindsighted to something that we wanted for so long that we become oblivious to other paths that can lead us to the same goal.
Agree with this 100%. :) Congratulations to everyone starting new doctorates in September! :alien:
"I am different, not less."—Temple Grandin
'A door opened and I went through it!' Temple Grandin
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

annaph

Post by annaph » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 pm

I can't quite believe this still... but I had a phone call yesterday and Manchester has now become Manchester!!!

Not sure on the circumstances why and I hope the person who's place I have filled is ok...but I guess it shows anything can happen even this late into the process!

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:07 am

annaph wrote:I can't quite believe this still... but I had a phone call yesterday and Manchester has now become Manchester!!!

Not sure on the circumstances why and I hope the person who's place I have filled is ok...but I guess it shows anything can happen even this late into the process!
AMAZING!!!!!!!! And I thought a deadline day phonecall was last minute - this is nuts! You must be so thrilled, especially after thinking it was done and dusted.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:41 am

annaph wrote:I can't quite believe this still... but I had a phone call yesterday and Manchester has now become Manchester!!!

Congrats :) This does happen sometimes, it is usually when someone gets pregnant before starting the course :D
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.